default address blackhole not working

salvatore333

Mar 27, 2003
customers default email address is filled with emails not being blocked by blackhole. does anyone know how to block emails to the default address?

thank you

sawbuck

Jan 18, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Make sure you have :blackhole: with the colon on either side. Also /dev/null might work.
We have been using :blackhole: for quite some time and it works well.

Slav

Oct 28, 2002
I have noticed that lately people that have :blackhole: setup on the default account have all the mail fail, even the routed mail , if the customer removes the blackhole in the default account everything start sto flow again.. Weird stuff.

jrehmer

Apr 10, 2003
Denver, CO
Slav said:
I have noticed that lately people that have :blackhole: setup on the default account have all the mail fail, even the routed mail , if the customer removes the blackhole in the default account everything start sto flow again.. Weird stuff.
I've noticed something similar to this as well. People tell me they send me e-mails, but certain ones never arrive to my server. No log of it, or attempted delivery. Then take out the :blackhole: for the default user on my domain and all those people who couldn't e-mail me before can.

Although some mail still flows through even with :blackhole: I know from personal correspondence that certain people's mail does not get delivered, why I do not know.

Slav

Oct 28, 2002
Yes i had it now for ytwo clients and i tested it and i can confirm this.
The dissapointing issue is that hardly anyone ever answers the bugs we submit. it salike the work on cpanel has virtually sized. But theres not much we can do about it. :)

SLav

curtgranger

Registered
Oct 3, 2003
Birmingham AL USA
I'm having the same problem. I changed my default to :blackhole: and I couldn't get test emails I was sending from other external email accounts. I also tried /dev/null. Once I set it back to my account's user name the emails went through. Reported it to my hosting co.'s tech support but they weren't able to resolve it (yet).

I also found where it has been logged in Cpanel BugZilla - http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=1037

Last edited:

Jeff75

Apr 11, 2003
Anybody know why :blackhole: does not keep email from being received?

I have an account who has set up the following mail filters and set their fallover account to ":blackhole:". For some reason they keep receiving email in their main inbox account.

h_X-Spam-Status: begins "Yes" --> Discard
$header_subject: contains "Mail delivery failed" --> Discard
$header_subject: contains "returning message to sender" --> Discard
$header_to: is "[email protected]" --> Discard
Here's an example of one of the emails that he still received even though the filter is set up:

Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
To: [email protected]

Can somebody tell me why they are still receiving bounced emails even though the filters are set up and the fallover is set to :blackhole:?

Last edited:

dxer

Sep 9, 2002
Europe
Iam just about now fighting this issue. Opened a Ticket at cPanel but they tried some things but nothing solved yet.
Iam at RHEL 3 and cPanel 9.9.1. S50.

When I set :blackhole: normal messages are not coming as well as unrouted. The same thing is with :fail: no such address here.
Just about when I remove any of this, flood of spam starts right away and it could easily fill inbox with hundreds of e-mail in couple of minutes.
I tried to enable SpamAssasin but then he sents all this warnings of possible spam so this is very annoying too.

Any new idea how to fix this ?

lloyd_tennison

Mar 12, 2004
Have any of you vastly changed exim.conf? I discard, fail, blackhole, whtever depending on the value -at least 25,000 pieces a day - and more when I include clam and some dnsrbl listings, especially for cable/dsl/broadband.

I am running on Redhat, but on current relaeses of Cpanel - but have never had that problem - even when running on releases that old.

Why do you not try saving your exim.conf and then rebuild from the default and try testing again?