The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Address Maintenance to disable the Catch All

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pcbugfixer, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Member

G'day folks,

I am currently on, cPanel Pro 1.0 (RC1) Using the X3 Theme.

I am trying to use the Default Address Maintenance to completely disable the dreaded "Catch All"
    and have set it to "(☻)Discard (IMPORTANT: We recommend that you do not delete incoming messages)"

However I am still receiving email sent to non-existent email addresses on my domains.

I noticed the intro text in the "Default Address Maintenance" which says, take note of the bold text, "The default email address receives any mail that is sent to an invalid email address for your domain. To send all email to the default mail account, enter the username of your account in the “Forward to Email Address” text box."

This is in fact the old "Catch All" which is why if you have a Web-hosting account with your own domain, you get inundated with crap spam messages.

I have said this on other forums when dealing with related issues, that this is the worst function that exists on cPanel and needs to be completely revised !!!

Back in the 90's the catch all was canvased as a good tool to catch any misspelled mail box addresses to your domain so you would not miss out on any messages that might contain orders. This was BAD BAD, I say again BAD advice as we soon discovered trying to sort all the spam from actual emails was a waste of a few hours to delete all the spam to get to the actual genuine orders.

So in the older cPanels we were able to simply use a command like :false: and the catch all was disabled and we no longer received spam or to any non-existent mail box addresses on our domain.

Where now in the current cPanel the default is "The default email address receives any mail that is sent to an invalid email address for your domain. ..... we are back to the original "Catch All " i.e sending an email to "anyaddress@yourdomain.com" (spammers love this) will come through to the (your) default email address.

The logic set by cPanel escapes me, unless they, cPanel, are receiving bribes from Spammers to have this default email function set in the manner it is.

OK so much for a small rant, back to my problem.

1. Why is my default address "(☻)Discard (IMPORTANT: We recommend that you do not delete incoming messages)" not working and I am still receiving emails addressed to non-existent mail boxes, i.e. non-existent email addresses ?
    - does anyone have a fix for this please ?

2. Is there a way that ensures that the dreaded "Catch All" function is 100% completely disabled ?

My final question, Who the hell was stupid enough to have a "Catch All" function active in the first place, to catch spammers email messages ?:confused:
    - I would urgently request that cPanel revise this functionality and suggest that cPanel get rid of it ASAP :D

Regards
    pcbugfixer :cool:

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Time to upgrade. Paper Lantern is where you should be now. See link in my signature for more details.

Also, cPanel pro was an addon, years ago, long since deprecated. On the side menu, a little ways above where you see cPanel Pro, find this item:
    cPanel Version

Whats that one say exactly?

You might like to review the documentation on this:
    Default Address - cPanel Documentation

Sure, sounds like your cPanel is out of date. You should update right away. In the meantime, looking at this area in x3, mine states:

In, WHM » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings, Mail tab:

Your Operating System vendor.

Feel free to sign onto this Feature Request:
    Ability to disable Default Mailbox - cPanel Feature Requests

3. pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Member

Thanks for the reply "Infopro",

1. I should have given this in the 1st place instead of "cPanel Pro 1.0 (RC1)"
    cPanel version is not out of date. The version is "11.46.1 (build 3)" = 11.46.1.3 which is the latest version.
    TIER Version Release Date
    STABLE 11.46.0.22 Tue Dec 9 21:08:34 2014
    RELEASE 11.46.1.3 Wed Dec 10 19:13:47 2014
    CURRENT 11.46.1.3 Wed Dec 10 19:13:47 2014

2. I don't seem to have this option in my WHM "This "WHM » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings, Mail tab: " does not appear on my WHM " - have sent this to my Admin to look into it.

3. Anyhow I have added to the Ability to disable Default Mailbox - cPanel Feature Requests - Ability to disable Default Mailbox | cPanel Feature Requests and note that this request is over a year old and cPanel has done nothing (- Removed - - I make no apology for having said this !!!)

That cPanel has ignored this feature request makes me angry, nay, mad as hell !!!
    cPanel should have been aware of this "Catch All" default email setting behavior and that it is responsible for the Users still receiving spam. This should have, when I say "Should have" I'm being polite, what I meant to say is, that cPanel has neglected this is plainly irresponsible and boarders on negligence !!!

cPanel need to attend to this as a matter of urgency !!!

Regards

#3 pcbugfixer, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014
  4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might like to read up a bit on how the Feature Request system works:
    cPanel Feature Requests System Login & Introduction Page

You should look into why email is ending up there, or, have your Server Admin look into it for you. There's a reason for that.

Not even a little bit. And with the wrong guy, too. Not good.

5. pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Member

Thanks for your reply "Infopro",

1. However I resent that you have, obviously misread, taken out of context what I have said and are now making an issue out of it with your last comment, seemingly making this a personal issue.

2. You said, " ........ There's a reason for that." So what is the reason and where should we look if you know that is ?
    - We looked into it and found that the default email settings are responsible for the spam as the default email address setting in cPanel acts and behaves like a "Catch All"

3. Then " ............. how the Feature Request system works:" So I read the whole "cPanel Feature Requests System Login & Introduction Page" Not what I would call a fluent description nor a logical procedure that seems to be hung up on itself with voting among other items, rather than attending to and dealing with obvious corrections immediately in the cPanel methodology, i.e. the secure functionality of cPanel.

I am not at all impressed with your innuendo, as commented in Item 1, and now trying to make out that I have offended 'You" personally !!!
    - Read your own Rules, you are not dealing with the Office Junior here.
    - I have not contravened any rules, my post on this forum has been, factual, without bias and critical of the failures where necessary, so what is your problem ?

Perhaps you should be reminded of what a "Forum" is, among these is "A public meeting place for open discussion and debate."
    - This also implies that the Forum Topic once posted, deals with the content and the subject in question and not any individual personally that posted the Topic or replies to it.
    - It seems that the criticism in my posts have been taken personally and out of context rather than dealing with the content and the subject in question !

Deal with it and don't get on a High Horse.

If you object to my “Candour”, read another post !
    "- Removed - !"

“Candour” the quality of being open and honest; frankness, fairness; impartiality.
    "a man of refreshing candour"

Regards

#5 pcbugfixer, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm sure you do.

Instead of looking for solutions, you continue to be upset about something you can solve, most probably on your own, with a bit less offensiveness and bit more time looking into the actual issue at hand.

Someone will surely be by to assist you at some point.

7. pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Member

Typical arrogance that one would expect from cPanel Evangelists.

Instead of going through all this, if he or they were so smart they could have given us the answer n the first place instead of needing to beat around the bush.

Most of the high / large cPanel users advise me that cPanel is well known for letting them wait for 6+ month before they do anything regarding fixing issues and at times one large user informed me that he has been waiting for 16 month for cPanel to attend to his message to fix a bug and is now looking to drop cPanel and look at all the alternative looking at the final 2 before he drops cPanel. His words, "I'm fed-up with cPanel and the delay in answering and fixing bugs."

I will take his message on board and do the same I think.

Regards

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That's my point, I did. Please review the first post again at your earliest convenience. Instead of doing that, you chose to continue ranting, needlessly.

To be clear, the answer you seek is in the docs. Correctly setting up the Default Address is what you're looking for.

Your offensive posts, ends here.

9. pcbugfixer

pcbugfixer Member

1. Here we go again implying that I am taking things personally - Wrong I have so far posted an issue concerning cPanel and I did not until now made any personal comments until this and my previous post !!!
    - There is nothing personal about this issue and I most certainly are not upset. I'm not the type to be upset, so kindly stop your inferences about what I am doing, you have no idea and are not in a position in any way to make such a call - get of your high horse :mad:

2. Like I said previously, You have taken this personally by suggesting that the directness of my approach to an innate issue is now Quote, You said " .... with a bit less offensiveness and bit more time looking into the actual issue at hand."
    - I take it that you are able to take your own advise !!!

Looks like you need counseling "Infopro"

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    We're all done here. Have a great day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.