The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default email account and email account in a domain within this account are the same

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jrozycki, Feb 7, 2015.

1. jrozycki

jrozycki Member

I typically don't go into WHM and cpanel to check my mail but did the other day and was surprised to see that the default email account contained all emails in my regular email account since standing up this cpanel account, even though I have been deleting the emails in the external mail client applications.

Researching further I realized its because the default account name is the same as an email account I setup in a domain within this cpanel account.

so
    /home/user_name/mail/cur
    /home/user_name/mail/domain.com/user_name/cur

Where user_name is the same

I do have it so the catch all for the default is set to fail but these duplicate emails are the legitimate emails sent to
    user_name@domain.com

So should I have not setup the cpanel account with a user_name which would eventually be an email address account within a hosted domain?

If so can I change the default email? I'm thinking not because it is really changing the cpanel account name.

What is my course of action to not having redundant emails proliferating the server in the default account? I don't want to log into both my (droid) mail and cpanel/webmail to clear out the default email account.

The silver lining to this is that I was able to recover an email that I had deleted a year or so ago!

2. madmanmachines

madmanmachines Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

Interesting issue. I'd be curious how cPanel handles that technically, but I guess you let us know it just sends it to both. The easiest/obvious solution is to change the cPanel username, as I don't believe you'll be able to change the default address in a supported manner. Perhaps someone has more insight here.

Thanks,

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Email should not deliver to the default mail account if you have configured the "Default Address" to fail. Did you review the timestamps on those emails to see if it's possible they were delivered before you changed the default address?

Thank you.

4. jrozycki

jrozycki Member

Hi,
    Timestamps are current. But you got me thinking...Do I really have "Default Address" to fail.

Where I think I have it set is in WHM under tweak settings, mail, Initial default/catch-all forwarder destination: fail.

Is that where I would set the "Default Address" to fail?

Thanks!

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Check the "Default Address" option in cPanel. The option is Web Host Manager only applies to new accounts/domain names created after updating that option.

Thank you.

6. jrozycki

jrozycki Member

This is what I have in cpanel:
    Capture2.PNG
    Capture.PNG

The usernames I crossed out in red are for my main email and the cpanel default account. You can see the default account still gets email by the size of the inbox.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you ensured the default address is configured for the additional domain names? Is it possible that email was delivered before you configured the default address? You can manually delete it from the following directories:

/home/$username/mail/cur
    /home/$username/mail/new

Thank you.