The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Email Account Over Quota

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Cal Findeiss, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Cal Findeiss

Cal Findeiss Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Greetings

I am trying to update our website and was uploading files via FTP, then I got a message saying we were out of space. Upon review on our cpanel site I see that we have hit our max space allocation. When I looked at what was taking up the most space it was email, and on further inspection it was the Default Email Account, it is sitting at 1.08 GB. When I use the "Access Webmail" option to try to clean out this account I get an error page that tells me it is over quota.

I have taken a look at a lot of the other threads that relate to this issue, but either they are from years ago or they don't solve my issue.

Please advise on what I could do. I have access to the cPanel and the FTP. I would rather not contact the host if I can resolve it on my own.

cPanel: 54.0.20

Attached Files:

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can access the account via FTP and remove emails from the following directories:

/home/$username/mail/cur/
    /home/$username/mail/new/

It's likely you have the "Default Address" option in cPanel configured to "Forward to your system account". You can change this to "Discard the email while your server processes it by SMTP time with an error message" if you want messages sent to non-existent email accounts to fail instead of forwarding them to the default email account.

Thank you.

3. Cal Findeiss

Cal Findeiss Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for the help. We have it set up to "Discard the email while your server processes it by SMTP time with an error message" but that email might of gotten to 1.08 GB before we made that change.

Again, I appreciate the help.