Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Default email account question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Marty, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

Okay, let's say I set up an account for domain.com with the dummy as the username.

The default email account is now dummy@domain.com.

Now, I go to the control panel and change the Default address to :fail:

Mail sent to any address that is not set up specifically gets bounced, but so does mail sent to dummy@domain.com.

Is there a way to keep it from bouncing mail send to dummy@domain.com but to bounce all other mail?

At one time it did not behave this way.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

If you set the default address to :fail:, the only thing that won't fail is real email accounts. You would need to make dummy@domain.com a real (POP) account.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

I have done that, but that seems a bit redundant as the default account is already a pop account. It just seems to me that it should only bounce mail for non existent accounts. dummy already exists as the default account.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

It does seem silly, but it's how it works. Probably because the default isn't really an independant POP account, but a catchall account. Must work differently than normal POP accounts.