The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Mail Accounts "Unrouteable address"?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Shiekron2, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Shiekron2

Shiekron2 Active Member

Just wondering if anyone has started noticed, as we are getting flooded with tickets that all Default Mail accounts in everyones domains are getting bounced with "Unrouteable address" ?

/scripts/exim4 didn't do the trick, and /scrtips/mailperm

Anyone have any further suggestions, or experiencing the same?

Thanks

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

Couple of things:

1. Make sure that the domains in question are listed in /etc/localdomains

2. For the catchall (default) address, make sure that if you are setting it up to dump everything to the main email address of your account (username = bob, then main email account = bob) then the catchall should be

*: bob

or

*: bob@server.hostname.com

NOT

*: bob@domain.com

3. jphilipson

jphilipson Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I am having the same issue, all main account names are not able to recieve any mail, the get bounced back. Id there a resolution for this yet? I submitted a ticket, and I hope it gets answeredd fast.

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Just update to the latest edge, it will auto fix broken valiases files.

5. jphilipson

updating to the latest edge is what broke it in the first place..... I am on the latest edge release right now. It was right after I updated to the edge release to fix the mailman issue that this happened.

6. Curious Too

Curious Too Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Edge 7.x Build#9 really screwed the default email addresses. I had to manually go through all servers and fix the ones that were broken. Grep your exim_mainlogs for "Unrouteable domain" then manually fix the valiases file. There is another "fix" in the latest edge (WHM 8.0.0 cPanel 8.0.0-E23). I installed it and am watching the maillogs for any problems, so far there hasn't been any.

7. Jemshad

Jemshad Registered

add server hostname also

We had the same problem. That was solved by adding the server hostname in the /etc/localdomains. If the server hostname is not there in localdomains, this error comes for domains' default mail accounts only.

8. Jemshad

Jemshad Registered

preview

clicking on "Preview Reply" each time, adds the line

"cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:"

why like this ? :(

Jemshi

9. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

We're having this problem not just on default email addresses but also on additional pops that have been set up.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

10. jphilipson

I have tried every one of these suggestions already None of the steps I have taken to fix the problem work. I have a support ticket in, but the person dealing with my ticket apparently does not know what I am talking about. PLEASE, can a support person that is following this thread answer my ticket, I really need help to resolve this.

just for the record, heres a copy of the valiases file for one of the many domains that don't work..

AILER-DAEMON@nxserve.com: postmaster@nxserve.com
    postmaster@nxserve.com: root@nxserve.com
    root@nxserve.com: justin@nxserve.com
    sales@nxserve.com: sales@pxnetwork.com
    site_blackhole@nxserve.com: /dev/null
    support@nxserve.com: support@pxnetwork.com
    *: justinp

The account justinp is the main domain account.. as you can see, all is right, but it just does not work.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 23204

#10 jphilipson, Sep 11, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2003
  11. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

Ok, upon further investigation, this is not true. It does seem to just be affecting the default address.

Either clients have set up a separate emailbox and then designated that as the default or emails are going to different email addresses but since they don't have pop boxes setup for these different addys, they should be going into the default box also.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 23205

12. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I have also been having this problem for the past month. The server's hostname is in the /etc/localdomains/ file. The catchall/fallover account is set to domain.com: login

Is this correct? Shouldn't it be set to login@domain.com?

When this client sends out a newsletter (usually once a week), they usually have around 50-100 returned emails. They are sent to nobody@my.servername.com which forwards to my root email address. How can I make it so the emails will be returned to their address instead of mine?

13. tatter

tatter Registered

I'm having this problem too... Everything was working fine until I upgraded to one of the 8.0 Edge releases. Tried going back down to the 7.X stable and release versions, but still no go. The server is in /etc/localdomains, everything "looks" right in the default address section in Cpanel....but when the mail bounces back, the error is that "login@servername.com" is an Unrouteable address. This is also happening for anything which gets sent to to root, nobody, or mailman. I've tried every combination I can think of in the System Mail Preferences in WHM....just a login, login@domain.com....even forwarding to an off-server addy...still no luck. I've looked everywhere I can find and tried everything I could think of. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

14. tatter

tatter Registered

OK, of course I figured out what my problem was right after I posted. I don't know if this could be causing problems for anyone else, but it solved my problem. My server has an A entry and DNS record for server.domain.com. When I was digging around in CPanel for my domain, I noticed that there was also a subdomain set up for server.domain.com. I think that was making the mail try to deliver to the actual subdomain rather than delivering to the "user" account on the main server. It does make a kind of sense.... Anyway, I'm happy to report that removing the subdomain from Cpanel (leaving the A record in WHM) solved my problem.

15. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

This happened because of the newest Edge releases. Back it out to the latest release and then do a /scripts/exim4. This fixes the problem.

16. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

We are on the lastest Stable release and having this problem. Cpanel is telling us to update to the latest Edge release to fix the problem.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 23205

17. jphilipson

Thanks tatter, that fixed my problem too. I thought I had checked to see if there was a subdoamin, but I guess i never did. Anyhow that worked for me.

18. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Active Member

Ok, I had this problem and found the answer (sort of) by reading this thread. This may help someone here with the same sort of problem so i'll make it wordy and try to be helpful.

Problem: All new accounts created on my servers since 7.x release of cpanel have had a Unrouteable address mail message.

Solution: The first thing that I noticed was the error message which appeared a little strange. I then noticed that this only occured on accounts where I had MODIFIED the username or the user had modified their username... This of course shed some light on the problem. So if your having the same issues here is how to fix it.

1) Login as root
    2) cd /etc/valiases
    3) pico domainname.com -w

4) find the line *: username (where username is the users old username)

5) Replace username (the users old username) with the users new username.

This fixed that particular problem for my clients right away. You can find out if this is YOUR problem by examining the "mail returned to sender message"

If it has a line like this:
    (generated from username@domain.com)

then that means you need to make "username" in the valiases the name that it is generated from (the one in front of the @domain in the return message as shown up a few lines).

Hope this helps someone... as these forums continually help me no end.

Chris.
    :) :)

19. georgiawebpro

georgiawebpro Member

how?

Sorry to sound dumb but I'm trying to troubleshoot this for my hosting company.
    How do I 'back out' Edge to the latest release?

Terry

20. big

big Well-Known Member

Re: how?

under "Change Update Preferences" change it from stable to edge and save , next update is gonna be from edge