The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Mailbox ? Why ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by 4u123, Mar 3, 2006.

1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Default (primary) Mailbox ? Why ?

Can anyone comment on this ?

What is the point in having a "default mailbox" ? It confuses the customers in relation to what usernames and passwords they use for mail - it serves no useful purpose at all.

I vote get rid of it!

Edit... I mean the automatically created mailbox.

#1 4u123, Mar 3, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Any issues with your account on the server are sent to that default email. It's very important for that and other things.

No votes being taken.. :p

3. xerophyte

xerophyte Well-Known Member

and it used for catchall too

4. Kerstin

Kerstin Well-Known Member

Nice linux links for knowledge searching. :cool:

4u123,
    i don`t understand correct which "default mailbox" you mean.
    cPanel or linux related. :eek:

5. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I dont agree with your comments above.

Just to clarify, what I'm talking about here is the automatically created mailbox in the customers account that has the same name as their cpanel username.

Not at all. With Cpanel, issues with their accounts go to the email address they provide as their contact address.

Yes, but in my opionion you should have the option of turning a mailbox into a catchall if you want to. This option exists with the "default mailbox icon" in cpanel.

By default, we set the the default mailbox to :fail: which is the most sensible thing to do anyway. We tell them to ignore the primary mailbox and just create mailboxes with names they want to use.

- The cpanel way is to include this primary mailbox whether the user wants it or not.

- It doesnt follow the same username format as other mailboxes they create and therefore confuses the customers.

- It has a fixed name and cannot be changed

- It cant be removed

I'm trying to workout the thinking behind this way of doing it. To me it seems totally impractical and very "non user friendly".

Why not simply have no mailboxes at all until the customer decides to create one ? Then provide the option of making it a catch all ? It would stop a major amount of customer confusion.

If this primary mailbox must be created, in order to be the "master" pop3 mailbox or whatever, why not simply hide it so it cannot be seen or used ?

6. Kerstin

Thanks for the extended comments. :mad:

I think it should to be supposed so, the username which crated in cPanel
    creating a standart eMail account,
    but this have noting to with a pop3 account or server.
    Definitely you can create more than one eMail accounts for different
    task, serves ... :p

7. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I'm sorry, I dont understand you at all.

8. vinodchacko

vinodchacko Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

The default address is mainly used to attract all of the unrouted mails. that means if you have a domain domain.com, and if a mail is send to anyname@domain.com, and if default address is not set to :fail: or :blackhole:, the mails will be delivered to the default address. ( better to set this to :fail: to avoid spams )

By default, the inbox is /home/username/mail/inbox.( it is possible to change the default address to any other ID also) And the pop address are residing at /home/username/mail/domain.com/popuser/inbox.

And if default address is set to :fail: and if you send a mail to name@domain.com, and if there is no such pop user created from cPanel -> mail -> Add/Remove accounts, the mail will be bounced back to the sender giving a "no such user here" error. If it is set to any address, it wont get bounced back.

Regards,
    Vinod :)

9. vinodchacko

vinodchacko Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

So I will advise to set the default address to fail and create pop users from the mail section from cpanel as it is more helpful to avoid unrouted mails (mainly spams)

Vinod

10. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi Vinod,

You have not really understood what I'm getting at here. Everything you have said, I am aware of and fully understand.

What I'm saying is -

1. Why does this initial mailbox exist at all ?
    2. Why cant be deleted ?
    3. It uses a different username to all the other ones - confusing
    4. The webmail login is also confusing

Common customer issues surrounding this...

"My main email account is named [username] but I want it to be "sales"

We tell them to ignore the main account and create a new one. They say - whats the point in having it ?

"How can I setup my email in outlook express?"

We explain that it depends whether they are using the main account or a new one they created becasue the username format is different. They dont need this kind of confusion.

"I set up my email in outlook express but i'm not receiving any"

This is often because they have entered their control panel username and password instead of the ones for the mailbox they want to use - therefore their email is send / recieving with the main email account instead. Email is being received fine in the account they created but they are of course not connecting to it.

Its confusing for them and a pain in the ass to explain all this to them every time and its all because cpanel comes with this "main email account" that works differently to all the others.

#10 4u123, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The reason it exists is really an artefact of the way cPanel has implemented virtual POP3 accounts. The main account is a unix account and as such will be the final repository of failed emails (as per requirements of the SMTP RFC where failed email should always be delivered to someone where possible). It's also the default recipient of cron emails unless otherwise altered. This too is part of the unix setup.

Once virtual POP3 accounts are used the way cPanel have things setup make the older unix account redundant and so the user has to setup an account@domain.com instead to receive emails.

It is an anomoly, but the fact it still exists is most likely a restriction in the way they've developed the ability to have virtual POP3 accounts - i.e. non-unix user email accounts, which is the "natural" method for creating email accounts in a unix environment.

12. Solokron

Solokron Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It can also be very handy when a new client is transitioning over to your server from another provider and mail accounts have not been created yet.

13. Kerstin

It is also possible contact only eMail Servers with the pop3 format ;) and
    the implemented virtual POP3 unix account.

What when other eMail servers which should be contacted wich have no standart unix POP3, respectively a other port or some else.

14. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

FWIW:

It doesn't have to have a different format. If the account username is 'widget' then the email username could be either 'widget' or 'widget@domain.com' ... either will work.

15. pottenkulam

pottenkulam Member

i'd tend to agree with 4u123 on this... primarily on the confusion aspect. fortunately, my clients are either totally clueless about computers / internet / technology, or they can get by and understand when i tell them to ignore the default account.

but there are enough reasons for it to exist... some of which i learnt right now. another thing was that my mambo installs used to send bounced mail to that address, even though i set my own id as a catch-all.

@ lyttek... not always, since whm makes those defailt names, an earlier webhost of mine left it at that, and i would have had to use pottenku@pottenkulam.com as my mail id. not nice, as it's my surname, truncated uglily.