The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default User directory structure / Skeleton

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarethFTP, Dec 11, 2012.

1. GarethFTP

GarethFTP Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I am in the process of setting up my new dedicated server with whm/cpanel.
    I have a slightly odd set up in that I don't require the server to be used for http access.
    I am setting domains up to be used as an ftp data storage by our employees only.

My question is can I prevent any folders from being created in the users root directory upon account creation and simply allow him/her to upload/download data from the root?

I can see that I can edit/add/remove what is included in the public_html and public_ftp folders via the skel folder. However, my issue is that I wish to remove these folders (and the others too). Any ideas on how to do this automatically so that I don't have to manually remove them via file manager each time?

I have a feeling that the etc folder will have to remain as it automatically gets recreated to store the ftp quota file.

Alternatively, is is possible for the cpanel user to be locked into a directory and not see it's parent directory(ies) (e.g. locked into public_html without seeing the name of the folder and all folders higher up)?

Thanks,
    Gareth

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not aware of a way to not automatically create those default account directories. Nor setup specific per user FTP permissions via cPanel for that matter. Like, download only, for example. If he has access, he can upload, download, delete, append.

Addon FTP accounts are locked into the directory you give them though. More on creating FTP accounts here:
    Add an FTP account - cPanel Documentation

I do think you might be able to auto create an FTP account using the API, on account creation. This is a bit more advanced but there are some docs that reference this here:
    FtpRef < SoftwareDevelopmentKit/ApiRef < TWiki

More on the API here:
    Developer Resources | cPanel, Inc.

3. GarethFTP

GarethFTP Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the reply.

I think that I will have to make do with the users seeing all of the public_html folders etc for now.
    I'm sure it will confuse them somewhat but oh well.

Regards,
    Gareth