The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Website Page when i assign another IP to website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by postcd, Dec 31, 2011.

1. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have free FailOver IP assigned to my server in WHM. So i decided to use it for my new website account.

So I changed my old nameservers at Godaddy.

ns1.someotherdomain.com
    ns2.someotherdomain.com

Every nameserver contain all my server IP addresses. The one i want to be using is at second place.

And finally i have "Changed Site's IP Address" in WHM.

Result is cpanels "Default Website Page"

I have visited some proxy sites to ensure issue is not just from my computer, but every proxy return this default page. What i did wrong please? Can you help me?

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is normal and expected behavior when you change the IP address of a cPanel account.

What's happening is that you've instructed the cPanel & WHM server to recognize the site on the "new" IP, but the world at large is still resolving your domain name to the "old" IP address. Since Apache no longer expects the site on the "old" IP, it serves the default website page instead.

Assuming you've made all the correct changes already with DNS/etc., this means you just need to wait for the DNS changes to propagate world wide. This can take anywhere from a few hours to 24 hours. This greatly varies based on your ISP's dns caching behaviors.

This is simply the very nature of performing any DNS changes on the internet and is not in any way limited to cPanel behavior.

If the problem persists after 24 hours, that may suggest something is misconfigured on the server. I'd advise opening a ticket with us at that point (see my signature for links).

3. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

I dont think you are correct. I have used Web Proxy servers which im sure never accessed my site before, and they shows this Default Page. Nameserver change is already propagated before 24 hours on my side. Only that these proxy servers takes NS info from some server where the change is not propagated already. But i dont know if this is possible?

I think this is some IP problem or wrong nameserver setup

(as said there are ns1 and ns2 nameservers set and both have 3 ips assigned to them, actual ip is at second possition. Done at Godaddy)..

4. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can you explain what you mean by 2nd place?

What have you set as the A record?
    What url are you using to access the site? (www. or naked domain? or something else?)

5. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Godaddy have around 11-12 fields for adding an IPs to the nameserver. Like IP1. IP2 etc. so the actual IP is at second place, I think it could not matter.. I did not do anything with A record. I think its not necessary. WHM does everything automatically when we change sites IP. New IP was automatically added into DNS Zone. I checked at "Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone". I accessed site without www. i dont think it matter. Thank you

6. ruzbehraja

ruzbehraja Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

You should probably be checking this: Managing DNS for Your Domain Names - Search the Go Daddy Help CenterDo paste the DNS Records that you have set.

7. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

Than you for an advice, but on this page is written "You can only use Zone File Editor to manage the DNS for domain names that use our nameservers." It means something like ns1.godaddy.com, but i do use ns1.myotherdomain.com NS for this domain name.