Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

defaultwebpage.cgi for add-on domain

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by Ishware, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Ishware

Ishware Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, I can't find any threads that seem to address my specific problem, so a new thread ahoy!

On my server (on which I have root), I have created an account for a website I'll be hosting shortly. I've created an alias for the main domain using a subdomain of a domain that points to the server. So let's say the main domain is example.com, and I've set up an alias for example.sitedev.team. That works fine (and I've done it before with no problems).

The existing account has an add-on domain, let's say example2.com. I've created an addon domain for it, pointed to /home/thisuser/_example2. Since that domain also doesn't yet point to my server, I created a scond addon domain - example2.sitedev.team which also points to the same _example2 directory.

Alas, when going to example2.sitedev.team (not the real name, of course), I get the default page.

I've run the scripte that rebuilds apache config with no help.

What else should I do / what to check to troubleshoot this? And can I set multiple addon domains to point to the same folder? It looks like an alias only works for the main domain - I can't set up an alias for an addon domain. Am I doing this the proper way - or what is the proper way?

Many thankks. :)

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Yes, pointing multiple addon domain names to the same document root is supported. The information you provided suggests you are completing the correct steps. Have you checked to confirm the IP address the addon domain name resolves to (using the host or ping command from the computer you are accessing the website from) matches the IP address associated with the cPanel account? If so, try clearing the browser and DNS cache on this computer if you have not already done so and see if the issue persists. We document how to clear the DNS cache at:

How To Clear Your DNS Cache - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have verified to the best of my ability that it's right.

The actual domain (that the temp subdomains are based on) is - Removed -.

- Removed - fails, so I set up p.ieh.im which works. I deleted and recreated the sitedev one and it still fails.

The alias on the main domain that works is also a subdomain of - Removed -.

Any more ideas to check, or should I open a ticket, or...?

Also, to explicitely say - this server has a single IP and everything points to it (except for the live domains that I mentioned that aren't, but as with Spaceballs, "These are not them! You've [broken] their [subdomain aliases]!" :)

#3 Ishware, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017
  4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As a followup to anyone else experiencing this issue - the solution was not anything on the server; rather, my browser was caching something (I'm still not sure what, to be honest) — apparently when you create a new alias or addon domain or subdomain and it doesn't work, the first thing to do is to open an incognito / private browser and test the URL.

It's also apparently a good idea to check the website in private/incognito as you develop anyway, and various things can otherwise get cached and cause pain.

So after more than 20 years of webhosting, this old dog learned a new trick.

Many many thanks to the professional, friendly, graceful, knowledgeable cPanel support staff who handled my ticket!

cPanelMichael and Infopro like this.
  6. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As a followup note: This is still happening, and while I can browse incognito to fix it, that's inconvenient for editing. Can anyone tell me what *part* of Firefox is caching this, or more importantly: how to CLEAR whatever is being cached.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Are you using any third-party plugins with Firefox? For instance, can you reproduce the issue when using a separate instance of Firefox with the default settings and no plugins installed? Also, are you using a proxy to access the websites as part of your Firefox configuration?

Thank you.

8. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you sincerely for the reply! :)

I use about ten plugins; have disabled all, cleared the Firefox cache; no change.

Closed Firefox, created a new profile - still had the default page on a domain I just added today.

No proxy - from my home, connecting through router→cablemodem

Last time this happened -- and just now -- restarting httpd fixes the incognito, but not my main logged-in Firefox window. So odd. o_O - and last time, after a few hours, checked main browser and it started working. JUST restarted httpd, so main browser not working this time, just incognito now.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Can you reproduce the issue with a different browser (E.g. Chrome), or is it isolated to Firefox? What OS and version of Firefox are you using?

Thank you.

10. Ishware

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Windows 10 64-bit Home for OS, Firefox 58.0.2 64-bit.

Just installed Chrome, set up a new website - webtest.example.com - and getting the default page there.

After restarting httpd, incognito only works, regular chrome still goes back to default.

Just in case: I do make sure not to F5 refresh, but to make sure to reload the bare domain. That being said, I wish the default webpage would at least have a link to click on to retry the bare domain. heh

edit: Just remembered I can edit that template. It's not as pretty now, but at least I have a link to "/" to click :)

edit2: So previously I installed an extension to clear the Firefox cache with one click - it hadn't been working, but at the MOMENT with two separate tests, it has appeared to work........ More googling and I found a thread suggesting that the browser can cache a redirect - which.... I'm a bit hazy on http protocols...

#10 Ishware, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
  11. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

It seems like this is something unique to your local computer and connection, as I'm unable to reproduce it on a test environment. That said, feel free to open a support ticket if you'd like us to take a closer look to see if it's something we can reproduce when testing a domain name on your actual server.

Thank you.