The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

defer spam from server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by outlaw web, Jul 19, 2007.

1. outlaw web

outlaw web Well-Known Member

there used to be a post on here that worked great for me which deferred crap from the front door so that it didn't get near the mail queue or mailboxes but I can't find the 6 lines of exim code for love nor money.

i'm getting plagued by emails such as totally-guessed-email-account@mydomain.com that don't even exist, even though the domain may exist.

does anyone know the exim code or how to stop these kind of mails from getting anywhere near me.

I'm at the stage where I want to reply to the pests and arrange a meet with them.....Just me ...them and a whacking great baseball bat so I can kneecap them from sending me crap! ;)

OWM

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you saying you are _receiving_ emails to totally nonexistent addresses within your domain? If so, go in and change your Default Address in cpanel for each domain so that it FAILS instead of accepts and forwards to another box.

If you are saying you are seeing a lot of dictionary attacks where logs show a lot of incoming attempts to deliver mail to nonexistent addresses, then you'll want the nice ACL of Chirpy's that can be found at http://www.configserver.com/free/eximdeny.html .

Mike

3. outlaw web

outlaw web Well-Known Member

nice

thanks buddy...

i did look at that ....anyways I loaded it now due to your recommendation ;)

OWM

4. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If your server gets any amount of SMTP traffic at all, you'll notice that the dictionary attack ACL is quite effective.

from a shell prompt just do this occasionally once a day if you want to feel good:

grep ictionary /var/log/exim_rejectlog

Glad that info helped you out, but Chirpy did the work - I just use what he created (and so do thousands of others, although many probably would not admit it) heh.

Mike

5. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    BTW - You might find this thread useful: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=61917&highlight=Bad+HELO

Of course one must admit that the thread is too long, and all the specifics are lost in it once you get to the end. I've using parts of the ACLs discussed there with great effectiveness. Wish somebody would create a new ACL thread with the most useful and then start from scratch again. I spent significant time pulling out parts of what is in that thread - it would be of much greater use if the latest greatest combination of what is discussed in that thread were put into a new one.

Mike