Delete Default Webmail Application

Jim's Masonry

Oct 19, 2018
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I would like to revert back to having no default webmail application chosen and have not been able to figure it out. I did read the similar thread entitled "Undo Default Webmail App" (SOLVED - Undo default webmail app) but could not get the suggestions to work and I was not permitted to ask for more details.
Thank you for your help in advance,
Jim.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi Jim, you responded to the email alert about my post instead of replying to the thread itself, here on the forums. :)

No worries. If you look at the those locations:
Code:
/home/$username/.cpanel/nvdata/[email protected]_default_webmail_app
/home/$username/.cpanel/nvdata/[email protected]_hideUserPreferencesOverlay
/home/$username/.cpanel/nvdata.cache
/home/$username/ is your account. /home/jims/ for example. $username is just for the example.

.cpanel/ is a directory on your account. Because of the dot in it, at beginning of directory name, it's a hidden directory. If you visit your File Manager via cPanel, once it's open, on top right corner is a menu titled "Settings". If you click that, you see an option titled:

Show Hidden Files (dotfiles)

Make sure you tick that option.

When you do, and save, the File Manager page will refresh and you'll see all dot files and dot directories. From there, go here to find the files you seek:
/home/$username/.cpanel/nvdata/

Once you've completed the task, you might go back and untick that option to hide things, it keeps things neat and tidy, and hidden, from being deleted by mistake.

HTH!

Jim's Masonry

Oct 19, 2018
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi Jim, you responded to the email alert about my post instead of replying to the thread itself, here on the forums. :)

No worries. If you look at the those locations:
Code:
/home/$username/.cpanel/nvdata/[email protected]_default_webmail_app
/home/$username/.cpanel/nvdata/[email protected]_hideUserPreferencesOverlay
/home/$username/.cpanel/nvdata.cache
/home/$username/ is your account. /home/jims/ for example. $username is just for the example.

.cpanel/ is a directory on your account. Because of the dot in it, at beginning of directory name, it's a hidden directory. If you visit your File Manager via cPanel, once it's open, on top right corner is a menu titled "Settings". If you click that, you see an option titled:

Show Hidden Files (dotfiles)

Make sure you tick that option.

When you do, and save, the File Manager page will refresh and you'll see all dot files and dot directories. From there, go here to find the files you seek:
/home/$username/.cpanel/nvdata/

Once you've completed the task, you might go back and untick that option to hide things, it keeps things neat and tidy, and hidden, from being deleted by mistake.

HTH!
Thank you for your response HTC, I just saw it now. I have logged into my webmail account. I don't know if that's what you mean by File Manager or not. I suppose it's not. I click on Settings there, and there is no Show Hidden Files option there.
How do I get to File Manager? Or if that is File Manager, why am I not seeing Show Hidden Files?
Thanks again,
Jim

rpvw

Jul 18, 2013
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@Jim's Masonry

Don't log into your webmail, log into your cPanel, and in the FILES section you will see an icon called File Manager that will open a new interface with your folder list in the left side, the files in the body, and you can customise if you see hidden files by clicking on the Settings box (Top Right) and then checking the Show Hidden Files (dotfiles) option and saving.

After you have done that, navigate to the folders as instructed by @Infopro , and follow his instructions.

If you have difficulties, ask your web host for assistance.

Jim's Masonry

Oct 19, 2018
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
@Jim's Masonry

Don't log into your webmail, log into your cPanel, and in the FILES section you will see an icon called File Manager that will open a new interface with your folder list in the left side, the files in the body, and you can customise if you see hidden files by clicking on the Settings box (Top Right) and then checking the Show Hidden Files (dotfiles) option and saving.

After you have done that, navigate to the folders as instructed by @Infopro , and follow his instructions.

If you have difficulties, ask your web host for assistance.

Thank you RPVW,
What I am trying to find out is how to login to Cpanel without logging into my Webmail. I understand that you are telling me "do not log into Webmail, but login to Cpanel". That is precisely the point of my original request for help. I do not want to go to Roundcube, Squirrel, or Horde, I want to log into my cpanel not into my webmail. Right now when I try to log into my Cpanel, I am automatically (by default) taken into Roundcube webmail. How can I reverse my default Webmail application so that I am not forwarded to it every time I try to login to Cpanel?
What am I missing here?
Thanks again,
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim's Masonry

Oct 19, 2018
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
It sounds like you're using a saved bookmark. Try cpanel.example.com, or example.com/cpanel, or example.com:2083

None of those should send you to Webmail.
Thank you. That definitely took me to a different location. I tried all three of those which you sent me. Highlighted in red I get "The login is invalid". Hmmm.
Thanks again,
Jim.