The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

delete principal FTP account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dotcom22, Mar 15, 2009.

1. dotcom22

dotcom22 Member

Hi

I would like to do a specific thing and it appear is not possible. In fact when we create a new account a default FTP account are also created...For some specific reason I would like to not allow some user to have FTP access because I want manage by myself their files...The problem it is not possible to delete principal FTP account and is not possible to change FTP password of that account without changing also the password of Cpanel...So if a user know Cpanel e can connect by ftp to his account using same password...

Any idea/suggestion ? How I can avoid this ?

Am little bit surprised to discover Cpanel and FTP account have same password and no distinction are made between this 2 different things..

thanks for advice..

cheers

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I believe you can create a file called /etc/ftpusers and add the username to it, to disable ftp access for that user.

I'm not 100% sure, but you might need to be on pro-ftpd to use this.

3. dotcom22

dotcom22 Member

thanks for suggestion Vanessa.,...I don't have test it because in fact I see making change with my root ftp are not a good idea because I get permission issue....So If I want use ftp I must keep this principal ftp active...Is just annoying is not possible to change password with another (not same cpanel password..)...