The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleted DNS Zone... Help.. how do I fix it..

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by hostserve, Jan 12, 2007.

1. hostserve

hostserve Well-Known Member

Good morning..

I need some advice..

I deleted a DNS zone by accident... when I was trying to update it... :eek: i know... total stupid move... I was clicking too fast.. it was like the 30th zone to be edited..

anyways... so I tried to re-add it cuz i know what it should be more or less.. but the dns editor says it already exists.. but when I try and remove it or edit it the records come up blank.. what do i do to fix this..??

2. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

Have you checked if there is still an entry in named.conf ?

3. hostserve

Hmm.. nope.. I'm a cpanel newbie... :confused: so... we run a cpanel cluster, where should I check on my dns servers on the cluster ..??

4. hostserve

ok... I checked the named.conf file on the cpanel dns cluster and I did a search on the file for the domain name and it did not find the file anywhere...

now what..?? :(

5. hostserve

As some additional info, I also checked /var/named/ for the .db file for the domain and it is missing too..

6. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

if you have backups enabled, then just restore from the daily backups that zone.

7. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You might also check in the httpd.conf

8. hostserve

....RESOLVED....

For those newbies out there like me that may need some help on this in the future like I did, I'll tell ya how I resolved this issue...

As suggested by Gorilla I checked /etc/named.conf and found that the zone did not exist in named.conf so I then checked /var/named and then looked for the [domainname.com].db file to see if that existed... it didn't...

SO... I checked the server to see what other sites were on the server and found one and copied that .db file and renamed the copy to the domainname.com.db of the missing site. then I pico'd it and inserted the correct values to ensure that it would send visitors to the right site/domain.

then I edited named.conf and inserted the entry for the domain name that was deleted.

I then logged into whm and synced that zone with the rest of our DNS cluster from the server that I did all the editing on so that the new zone would be propigated to the rest of our DNS cluster...

thanks to all those that provided suggestions and help... !

9. ekhwan

ekhwan Active Member

Here is the problem I have,

I tried to add a sub domain to one of my domians using cpanel, the error I get is:

I went to WHM and logged in as root and saw that all the zones are missing on the Edit Zone page. No domains are displaying. Next I checked named.conf and all the entries are there as should be, I checked domain.com.db for all domains and its there as it should be but then why am I getting this error? and why are the zones missing from whm?

I am not that good at stuff but I think this entry in named.conf seems weird and if its wrong then how do I correct it?

Please help.

10. linux.newbie

linux.newbie Well-Known Member

There are already a couple of threads running on the dns zone missing issue.
    Try this from your terminal : /scripts/autorepair io_compress_gzip