The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleted domain still receiving mail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jackie46, Nov 21, 2005.

1. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

We have a domain that is still receiving mail or at least people are still trying to deliver mail to a particular website which used to be hosted by us. Its clearly evident in exim_mainlog. The problem is, the domain was terminated over 6 weeks ago!

What determines if mail is delivered to your server? LOCALDOMAINS. Well the domain is not in localdomains and their DNS and MX records are pointing to their new webhost'

Name Servers:
    ns3.ixwebhosting.com
    ns4.ixwebhosting.com

I'v search all over the place for the domain name. Nothing on the server says it should be attempting delivery to our servers. Nothing in /etc/valiases. Unless something wasn't deleted by Cpanel when we terminated the sitem i just cant see how people are trying to send mail to this domain and have it appear in exim_mainlog. :confused:

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

The relevant domain's MX record doesn't still point to the server on which it was until recently hosted?

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. If there is an MX record or just an A record for the domain still pointing to your servers IP address it will continue to receive email for the domain. It should reject it, but receive it it will until you have the DNS pointed elsewhere.

4. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Yes, this i know as i said i checked all the DNS records at their new host and nothing points to our server. Its all pointing to their new host.

5. aby

aby Well-Known Member

If what you say.. the DNS is pointing to the new host, then you may have to check the mail log in detail. It should be a local delivery and the culprit might be someone on your server.

6. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Im still having this problem. The domain i origionall wrote about is still receiving mail here even though their MX and DNS records are pointing to their new host.

I could not find the domain anywhere but i did find it in localdomains,v :confused:

Here are the entries that still appear in localdomains,v

log
    @Modified by /scripts/killacct.
    @
    text
    @a90 1
    sfpd.com
    @

sfpd.com

guides.sfpd.com

WHY? Looking though this file i see lots and lots of domains in here that should not be. These domains were once hosted here but why are they in localdomains,v. What is this file for anyway?