Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Deleted Files - Who Did It

Discussion in 'Security' started by jeremys_ppc, May 9, 2014.

1. jeremys_ppc

jeremys_ppc Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello all. I have a user whom all data was deleted and replaced with some php files. This content is not the clients content... In either case I am just trying to figure out how these files got deleted. I've checked the /usr/local/cpanel/logs/access_log and /var/log/messages but not seeing anything specific.

I was under the impression that file uploads and deletions by ftp would be in /var/log/messages yet I dont see anything from this client so I'm assuming that the deletions didn't happen by FTP. Are there any other logs I can check?

Thanks in advance.

2. quizknows

quizknows Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It was likely done through a vulnerability in their site. stat the new files (stat $filename) to get the change/modify times, and look for those times in the domains apache access log (/usr/local/apache/domlogs).

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, as quizknows suggested, please review the Apache domain access logs for this domain name. It's likely the account was exploited through a vulnerable script.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...