The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting compressed gz files stored in home directory of File manager

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dagwood, Apr 3, 2010.

1. dagwood

dagwood Registered

Hello, I am new to cpanel & working with files so am probably finding normally easy tasks quite laboursome.

I recently wanted to back up a copy of public_html on my home pc so did so by going into File manager, selecting public_html, then comressing it in gz form (public_html.tar.gz). I then noticed this compressed file in my home directory along with access logs, etc, mail, public_ftp, public_html, tmp & www ( think they were the only ones in the original list of folders).

I then selected "public_html.tar.gz" & downloaded it to my home computer, but the "public_html.tar.gz" in the file manager remained. My question, can I now delete this compressed file "public_html.tar.gz" without it affecting anything in my files, or to put it another way, if I delete this will it affect the original "public_html" folder?

Many thanks in advance for any help:)

2. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You can safely delete the .gz file and it will cause no harm to your public_html or anything else.

3. dagwood

dagwood Registered

Thank you so much for your help Mike, much appreciated :)

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Just out of curiosity, is there some reason you didn't use the backup options built into Cpanel to generate a full backup fo your account to download and store offline the same way?

5. dagwood

dagwood Registered

Hello Spiral

Yours is a good question & one I am glad you have asked because it is one of the things I wasn't sure as to what is the right thing to do? I chose just the database in this instance because when I had my web hosting account moved to another domain I wanted to be able to save my database when everything in the original database was lost in the changeover, but thought the home directory would be as new when the account was made on the new domain?

My way of thinking was that the database could be reloaded from Fantastico & then bought back to the way it was with the backup when uploaded?

Is it a better idea for me to do a full backup from backups in the cpanel in future?

Am I correct in thinking that the "Home Directory" includes "access logs, etc, mail, public_ftp, public_html, tmp & www", & the database is all data that is stored in my forum board database? I'm sorry I have a lot of learning to do I know & I probably haven't worded this very well.

Appreciate any clarification you can give (& your time also if you get time to answer) very much :)

Thank you in advance