deleting CSRs and RSA keys

ScrltOTara

Jan 19, 2008
I needed to install a new SSL cert for a client. They have two CSRs and two RSA keys in their cpanel SSL manager. I hit "delete" on all of them - I want to remove all the expired stuff and start fresh, and they say they are deleted, but they never go away.

How can I remove them?

Also, via SSH, I can remove anything that has anything AFTER the .crt and .csr, right? Those are backups and old? For example:

host.scarletsweb.com.crt
host.scarletsweb.com.crt.1205527583
host.scarletsweb.com.crt.old.1205527582
host.scarletsweb.com.crt.old.1205528188
host.scarletsweb.com.csr

I assume I only need the first and last files, yes? What about the following - I removed the cert in WHM but it's still here - it's expired, so I want to remove - I can remove all the files, yes (should I also remove the cabundle files?).

scarletsweb.com.crt
www.scarletsweb.com.cabundle
www.scarletsweb.com.crt
www.scarletsweb.com.crt.old.1200946844
www.scarletsweb.com.csr

Zishan

Aug 6, 2005
If you will be renewing the SSL certificate then you can remove all old cert files and even cabundle. Only private key should be kept if the new SSL is purchased on the basis of same csr.

easysitegroup

Registered
May 9, 2011
I have a similar question. I have the following crt.old files I cannot delete from WHM:

hcgbyrevele.com.crt.old.1303442932
hcgbyrevele.com.crt.old.1303840477
hcgbyrevele.com.csr.old.1303840375

When I attempt to delete them I get the following error:

SSL Key/Crt Manager
Delete SSL Key/Crt
ERROR: Could not remove nonexistent crt “/etc/ssl/certs/hcgbyrevele.com.crt.old.1303442932.crt”.

Any Suggestions?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

I needed to install a new SSL cert for a client. They have two CSRs and two RSA keys in their cpanel SSL manager. I hit "delete" on all of them - I want to remove all the expired stuff and start fresh, and they say they are deleted, but they never go away.
Could you check to see if these files exist in the following locations:

/home/username/ssl/private/
/home/username/ssl/certs/

Also, via SSH, I can remove anything that has anything AFTER the .crt and .csr, right? Those are backups and old? For example:

host.scarletsweb.com.crt
host.scarletsweb.com.crt.1205527583
host.scarletsweb.com.crt.old.1205527582
host.scarletsweb.com.crt.old.1205528188
host.scarletsweb.com.csr
Yes, that is correct. The files that end in a number or with ".old" are not active. You are welcome to remove them if the files are no longer required.

When I attempt to delete them I get the following error:

SSL Key/Crt Manager
Delete SSL Key/Crt
ERROR: Could not remove nonexistent crt “/etc/ssl/certs/hcgbyrevele.com.crt.old.1303442932.crt”
Could you check to see if these files exist in:

/etc/ssl/certs

If they do not exist there, could you open a support ticket and reference the ticket number here so we may investigate this further for you?

Thank you.