Deleting Files From File Manager

tom97531

Registered
Apr 25, 2010
A year ago I created a website using RV Site Builder. I just created a new website using a 3rd party website builder and uploaded/published the new site to my webhost, but when I try going to my website, my old website is still there. My webhost told me that I had to delete the old files in order for the new site to be seen. Under cPanels file manager, I have the following folders:

etc
mail
php
public_ftp
public_html
tmp

The remote folder I uploaded to is listed under the public_html folder and the www folder.

Can I deleted everything except the remote folder I created with the new website, or will this cause problems?

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
The list of directories in your post shouldn't be tampered with if you're not sure what you're doing as they are system directories, all but the www, that's a system link to public_html directory.

Inside your public_html is where you'd place any files you want to be available to the Web.

Using your list of directories:

etc
mail
php
public_ftp
public_html
tmp

You might like to create one more called anything you want in this area outside public_html, let's call it workroom. You could use this directory to move all files from within public_html out to that workroom directory. Basically you're backing up files here, instead of deleting anything

Once you've uploaded your new site into public_html, and are sure you have no more use for workroom or the files from your old website in it, it can be deleted safely as you know whats in it already.

Never ever delete if you're not sure what it is. Back it up instead. ;)

Last edited: