The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deleting files on a cronjob

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alankru, Mar 22, 2006.

1. alankru

alankru Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi
    I would like a shell script which I can run via cron to:
    1. restore a mysql database
    2. delete a load of files
    3. copy a load of files from elsewhere
    I believe the best way todo this is to create a shell script and then call it from cron? I am a newbie though I'm afraid and creating shell scripts is something I don't know how todo. :eek:

Effectively, this is what I want:

1. Restore mysql database file "/home/akwsdemo/akwsdemo_forum.sql" to database "akwsdemo_forum" using mysql user "akwsdemo_forumer".

2. Remove all files in the following folders (but not the folders themselves):
    /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog
    /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog/images
    /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/downloads/file
    /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/gallery/album
    /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/reviews/images
    /home/akwsdemo/public_html/forum/uploads

3. Copy the following files to the following directories:
    /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/index.html -> to -> /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog
    /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/tpl_blog.html -> to -> /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog
    /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/index.html -> to -> /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog/images
    /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/tmp -> to -> /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/downloads/file
    /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/a_no_image.gif -> to -> /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/gallery/album
    /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/a_no_image.gif -> to -> /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/reviews/images
    /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/index.html -> to -> /home/akwsdemo/public_html/forum/uploads

..and that's it. If anyone is able to help me with this I would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. nothsa

nothsa Well-Known Member

Obviously you should check this through before you use it. In the mysql line, replace "password" with the password for the account.

Here we go:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    mysql -uakwsdemo_forumer -ppassword akwsdemo_forum < /home/akwsdemo/akwsdemo_forum.sql
    rm -dfr /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog/*
    rm -dfr /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog/images/*
    rm -dfr /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/downloads/file/*
    rm -dfr /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/gallery/album/*
    rm -dfr /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/reviews/images/*
    rm -dfr /home/akwsdemo/public_html/forum/uploads/*

cp -a /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/index.html /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog
    cp -a /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/tpl_blog.html /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog
    cp -a /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/index.html /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/blog/images
    cp -a /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/tmp /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/downloads/file
    cp -a /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/a_no_image.gif /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/gallery/album
    cp -a /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/a_no_image.gif /home/akwsdemo/public_html/mkportal/modules/reviews/images
    cp -a /home/akwsdemo/mkportal.bak/index.html /home/akwsdemo/public_html/forum/uploads

3. alankru

alankru Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you!:D
    I uploaded it into the directory /home/akwsdemo and gave it 755 permissions. I then went into cpanel and entered
    1 * * * * /home/akwsdemo/demo.sh
    Now, I don't get any email with an output though?
    So I tried in SSH:
    Code:
    [/home/akwsdemo]# source demo.sh

Result:
    Code:
    : No such file or directoryemo_forum.sql
    : command not found
    ..and then it went onto the cp bit
    Is there something I have done wrong?
    Thanks.:)