The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deleting IMAP mails from server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by shann, Nov 5, 2005.

1. shann

shann Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

How do we delete IMAP mails from server?. There is no option like pop3. Any help.

thanks

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

In what way are you accessing your mail?

All IMAP-capable mail cilents, such as Outlook Express or Thunderbird, and all the webmail applications supplied via your cPanel access (Horde, SquirrelMail and perhaps Neomail) allow for the deletion of mail.

3. shann

shann Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

For the pop3 accounts, you have option to leave the server, if you don't enable it maills will be dwonloaded to email client and maill will be deleted from server. I couln't find same option for IMAP.

did you get my point?

thanks

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I understand now. You'll need to do a little reading-up on how IMAP works and how it differs from POP3 as they are really quite different protocols.

In short, IMAP works in a completely different way from POP3.

Only mail headers are downloaded to your mail client not the whole message, with the body of the message downloaded when requested i.e. when you want to view the message. And only then is it actually copied from the server not moved from the server to your machine.

The result being that what you see if in your mail client is, more or less, what exists on the server. When you delete a message in your client, it gets deleted from the server.

When you make server-side folders and then, through your mail cilent, move messages from one folder to another, they are also moved on the server. And so on.

It's not quite as real-time as this, as it depends on how often your mail client checks up on what is happening server-side, but for all intents and purposes you can treat what you see in your mail client as a live view of what is on the server.