Operating System & Version
linux Apache version 2.4.43
cPanel & WHM Version
88.0 (build 13)

syfydrin

Registered
Aug 16, 2020
2
1
1
United Kingddom
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
In trying to add an alias for an add-on domain (something that doesn't appear to be possible as standard with cPanel) I've ended up with a spurious "domain" which probably just needs deleting, based on what I've read in the cPanel documentation.

I have a setup of a primary domain and an add-on domain. I've abandoned an attempt to create an alias for the add-on domain, but in the process of trying to set this up with support I've ended up with a third "domain" listed under the "Domains" section of cPanel. The "domain" is in fact a sub-domain of the form addon.primary.com. This has the same Document root as the add-on domain (which has an associated sub-domain of addon1.primary.com), so I'm nervous about deleting it. The problem I'm getting is that visitors to the website are now (not previously an issue) getting certificate errors owing to the add-on domain being somehow associated with the spurious domain, which has a separate Let's Encrypt certificate from the add-on domain and it's associated sub-domain.

Am I right in thinking that deleting the spurious sub-domain via the Domain list won't affect the directory and file space of the add-on domain? Alternatively, if I change the name of the root directory of the spurious sub-domain, I assume this will still leave the original add-on domain directory and file space intact?
 

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
13,296
1,271
313
Houston
You can create an alias and redirect it to any domain. How exactly are you trying to create the alias?

All addon domains are in fact subdomains of the account's primary domain, this is not a new behavior and it is intended. What are the specific certificate errors you're receiving?
 

syfydrin

Registered
Aug 16, 2020
2
1
1
United Kingddom
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the response.

I've resolved the certificate issues, although I couldn't tell you exactly how, I suspect a combination of things. Firstly I amended the root directory name of the spurious "domain". This didn't solve the problem by itself, but I subsequently deactivated and then re-activated some security plugins (Wordfence and All in One WP Security), which sorted things out. I'd previously deactivated/re-activated these plugins with no effect, so I guess a combination of factors have contributed to the resolution.

I'll probably give creating an alias another go in a few days time. This isn't critical as the alias domain is pretty much redundant. But I guess it's simply a case of pointing the domain to the host's name servers, adding the alias domain and then re-directing it to the add-on domain's associated sub-domain. But I'm fairly sure that's what I did last time...
 
  • Like
Reactions: cPanelLauren