The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deliver domain mail to subdomain CPanel account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by teckyhead, May 15, 2011.

1. teckyhead

teckyhead Member

I'm looking for the most efficient, sensible way to tell a CPanel account - pop3.mydomain.com - to accept email for mydomain.com. Here's a bit of background on why I want to do this...

I decided to move the email accounts (around 40 or 50 of them) from an old mail server to a shiny new Cpanel server - mainly for easier management, nicer webmail etc. In order to make it a smooth transition and prevent anyone from losing mail, I set up a new cpanel account - pop3.mydomain.com - and then set up aliases on the old server for each of the mydomain.com email accounts that would deliver the emails locally on the old server and forward them to the new server. That worked well as it allowed the users time to change their settings and, because mail was going to both the old and new servers, it meant that they didn't lose any emails (these are mostly small business customers).

So now I'm at the point where I want to turn off the old server and have the email for domain.com delivered to pop3.domain.com. I've been an ISP for 15 years or so but we've always used sendmail - so I've not spent much time looking at Exim configs yet.

I figure that the two steps I'll need to take are to change the primary MX for the mydomain.com to pop3.mydomain.com and make a change in the Exim config to tell it to deliver mail for domain.com to pop3.domain.com.

Any info or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure I follow you. An example email of one of these accounts would be:

tecky @ pop3.mydomain.com?

3. teckyhead

teckyhead Member

Yes... sorry. I left out an important part of the whole story. The addresses that are currently being redirected to the new server are all like tecky @ mydomain.com and they get forwarded (via sendmail's aliases file) to the corresponding email address at pop3.mydomain.com. I have a line in the sendmail aliases file on the old server for each email address that delivers the message locally and also sends it on to the other server... something like:

tecky: tecky, tecky @ pop3.mydomain.com

So, I would like to switch the old server off and in order to do that I have to tell pop3.mydomain.com that it should accept email for users @ mydomain.com

Gary

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm trying to figure out why the need for the pop3. subdomain. (not enough coffee yet this AM)

On the pop3.mydomain.com cPanel account you could setup a forward (no email address needed there) to forward email from tecky @ pop3.mydomain.com to tecky @ mydomain.com where the actual email address is located.

5. teckyhead

teckyhead Member

It may be a case of 'I've made that bed and now I have to lay in it' :). The reason for the pop3 subdomain was to get all of the users from the old server up and running on the new server without the main domain going off the air for a day or so. It made sense at the time (though I am starting to think that I may have done it before my first coffee that morning).

By doing it that way I was able to send them an email saying 'Here are your new settings. Your email is being delivered to the old and new servers... once you have configured your mail program on the new server let us know and we'll switch your old mailbox off'.

So now they are all set up on pop3.mydomain and I need to find a way to route their email. I have the mydomain.com domain also set up on a CPanel account but DNS doesn't point to it yet - so an option would be to add a forwarder in in that CPanel account for each of the mailboxes - similar to what you suggested but in the opposite direction. I can't really forward them the other way as the users are all set up to collect email from pop3.mydomain.com

Gary