Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Delivering remote email issues

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by picklink, Feb 21, 2019.

1. picklink

picklink Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    I am hosting a website's files on one server, but would like to keep the emails in a separate one.

My domain name is at 1and1 registrar. The domain is already pointing at my host and my website is working properly. 1and1 provides with its own email space. So basically you can create an email account there and use a certain amount of space they provide.

The thing is that now all the emails sent to my account return an error 550 to the sender (user unknown). A 1and1 rep instructed me to add (through my account's Cpanel) their mail servers.

1and1's mail serves are: mx00.1and1.es, priority 10, and mx01.1and1.es priority
    11. What I did was into my domain's cpanel's DNS zone editor add those two addresses and their
    corresponding priority under Mx records.

The emails still report error.

I imagine am missing something very basic. I am not that used to change mx records. In general the dopmains i host under my reseller are for people that want to host noth the domain and the email, so this si a first for me.

Thanks

2. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When did you add these DNS entries.
    DNS propogation may take a few hours.

picklink likes this.
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    @picklink

@keat63 is very right propagation does take time and that could have been the issue.

Where is the DNS for your domain hosted? On the server or with 1and1? If the nameservers aren't pointed to the server then you'd need to manage the MX records where DNS for the domain is hosted, in this case you'd most likely need to ensure that 1and1 shows your 1and1 mx records.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    picklink likes this.
  4. web-project

web-project Well-Known Member

why not to contact 1and1, as sounds to me is the issue with their email system returning the user unknown

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    picklink likes this.
  5. picklink

picklink Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks to all. The 1and1 servers settings where applied correctly to the DNS Zone. The problem was there was an existing mail server listed with priority 0, that it was added automatically as soon as the account is created, so it was mx.domainname.com and priority 0. After deleting that entry, the emails started coming in with no problem.

Regards

6. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @picklink

Thanks for letting us know what the issue was and I'm really happy to see you were able to get it resolved.