The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delivery failures still going to root mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by 4u123, Feb 15, 2006.

1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I'm still amazed that the email address setup for root is receiving daily lots of delivery failure messages spam notifications and responses from auto responders.

I've looked through this forum for a fix several times and not found anything - this problem has been going on for years. Is there no way to stop this happening ? Ive got about 60 mail rules setup and still it keeps coming!

It might be ok if you only have a couple of servers but we have 25!

Is anyone open to a proper discussion on this to see if we can come up with a solution / workaround ? Are there not hundreds of very anoyyed server admins on here that would like to see an end to this ? How do you deal with it ?

Thanks.

Is email addressed to Mailer-Daemon@server.mydomain.com supposed to come into this root mailbox ?

#1 4u123, Feb 15, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. It's a requirement of the mail RFC's that someone is told of a mail delivery failure. If you feel happy about breaking that, then /dev/null mailer-daemon.

3. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

It would be nice to have the option to choose a seperate mailbox for it instead of sending it to an address thats used for more important stuff. Dont you agree ?

4. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

Bounce back to root most of the time happens when return-path is nobody@..... at least that's what i have noticed. That's fine with me as that at least helps in quicker location of the vulnerable script.

Anup

5. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Whats vunerable about a script that sends mail as nobody ? Isnt that standard unless you are using phpsuexec?

I've /dev/null'd postmaster in aliases - cannot be assed dealing with all the crap that comes in. mail routing problems are so rare these days its hardly worth even moving it to a different mailbox.

6. anup123

anup123 Well-Known Member

Not really. It depends on how the form to mail scripts are coded. I have form to mail scripts which do not go out as F=<nobody@....> despite not running phpsuexec.

Vulnerability from the view point of header injection. That's what exploited most on vulnerable form to mail scripts. They are also the scripts which has F=nobody@.... in exim_logs. A small typo by spammer and mail comes bouncing back to root --> postmaster.

Anup

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No I don't, since that's how most MTA's work. If you want to forward mailer-daemon or postmaster to a different address setup an exim filter to do so.

8. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I dont agree.

Most MTA's give you the option of where you want to send mailer messages. With cpanel they have simply set it by default to go to the root address which imho is a bad idea - it should be seperate.

I dont want tons of delivery failures going to the address used for other notifications. OK - its easy enough to change in the aliases file but it just adds up to being yet another small task that needs to be performed when setting up a server. The idea of cpanel is that it makes all the setting up a bit quicker and easier - unfortunateley we still have to tweak a million and one things in order to get it working the way we want.

Might be nice to have an option in the basic whm config to say "where do you want mailer-deamon messages to go ?"

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

cPanel didn't configure it to go anywhere, that's how exim works by default. It does it the same way that sendmail and most other *nix MTA's do by default, which is to route mailer-daemon to root. As I said, if you want it to go somewhere else, just setup an alias. That option is available to you if you don't want to follow the industry standard.

If you believe that the majority of people really want to break that standard link, then log a bugzilla enhancement request in the usual manner and invite people to vote for it if they want it.

#9 chirpy, Feb 17, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  10. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I do beleive that the majority of people would want to do it differently but I'm really not about to waste my time with bugzilla - thanks for the suggestion.

11. gruvin

gruvin Member

Show us how it's done?

Really? Can I please see how this is done? Thanks!

<rant>It's VERY important to us that the owner of a website gets a bounce message via Return-Path so they know when paid order confirmation mails, etc. get bounced -- maybe the client simply typed their email address wrong (twice. :| ) -- the site owner/seller needs to know the email bounced. Return-Path is the ONLY way they're gonna find out -- isn't it? It's no darn good sending it to root on the box. He's tired, warn out and gone fishing!</rant>