The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

deny server level vs cPanel level

Discussion in 'Security' started by durangod, Sep 10, 2014.

1. durangod

durangod Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    if i move my deny's that are in cPanel useraccount ip deny to the server level root block in whm, will that keep the "deny per config" message from showing up in the user account cPanel?

Im thinking if they are blocked at the root level then they cant even get to the user level to cause the message.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: deny server level vrs cPanel level

Hello :)

Could you elaborate on how you blocked an IP address in Web Host Manager? What specific option (e.g. Host Access Control) did you use? Also, what specific message are you referring to in cPanel?

Thank you.

3. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

hi, sorry i was unclear. I have not done anything in WHM as of yet. It was a general question. What im asking is for example: in cPanel ip deny i put in 1.1.1.1 now when 1.1.1.1 trys to connect to that site they cannot which is the purpose of it, and it leaves a message in the cPanel log 1.1.1.1 denied by system configuration. Now what im wanting to know is, if i removed 1.1.1.1 from the cPanel account level and used WHM root to block 1.1.1.1, would the cPanel account still show denied by configuration or not.

The point is with all the deny ip blocks i have at the cPanel level, the error log is getting filled with "denied by system configuration messages" and i would like to clean that up. If that means that i need to move the block to a higher level, so thats why im asking.

Thanks

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

You can block the IP address through your firewall and that message will not show up in the logs because it won't be an Apache block.

Thank you.

5. durangod

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    great, thank you sir :)