The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deploying a Tomcat app on shared hosting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lightbeing, Nov 4, 2011.

1. lightbeing

lightbeing Active Member

Hi there,

I've got a client who's wanting to deploy a Tomcat app thwy've written to a standard shared hosting account. A couple of questions for you.

1. How is that done?
    2. Is it safe/standard to allow this for shared hosting?

Thanks in advance
    D

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have Tomcat compiled into Apache via /scripts/easyapache or WHM > EasyApache (Apache Update) area? If so, does that account have servlets installed in WHM > Install Servlets area?

If the answer is yes to both, then there shouldn't be an issue with the customer deploying a JSP or Servlet application on the machine to the account by simply uploading the application using FTP. If the answer is no, then the customer won't be able to get the application to work.

As for the safe portion, that depends on how many accounts are on the machine and whether they will be trying to use a memory intensive framework like Hibernate or not. If there are any memory-based or load issues, then you can always simply disable the JSP and servlet support for the account at that point.

3. lightbeing

lightbeing Active Member

Not sure about how it's compiled as that was done for me when the server was commissioned by BuycPanel.com (and their support haven't been much help).

How would I check?

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have root SSH and root WHM to the machine, check if "Install Servlets" exists in WHM. If it doesn't, recompile Apache using either /scripts/easyapache or WHM > EasyApache (Apache Update) to add Tomcat.

5. lightbeing

lightbeing Active Member

There's no sign of "Install Servlets" so I guess I need to recompile Apache. I started to go through the Easyapache steps and Tomcat is not selected. So all I need to do is select it and go through the remaining steps?

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Right, you'd simply need to select Tomcat during EasyApache compile, then you would need to add the domain in question in WHM > Install Servlets once Tomcat and EasyApache have finished recompiling.

7. lightbeing

lightbeing Active Member

Fab thanks for that, all set up. So now all they need to do is upload the .war file to public_html and it will automatically install?