Deprecation of PHP 5.6 and 7.0

durangod

May 12, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
In the event you have not checked out the release notes for cPanel 84.

According to the release notes for cPanel version 84 found here

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/84Docs/84+Release+Notes

They have deprecated php 5.6 and 7.0

Deprecation of PHP versions 5.6 and 7.0

We have deprecated PHP 5.6 and PHP 7.0 and will remove support for them in a future version.

This means that we all have to be diligent to be sure we advise our users that we are indeed getting close to the line in the sand to update older scripts or possibly lose the functionality of them. Not sure what the open source folks are going to do here, i know some open source scripts are not fully ready for anything over 7.0 so i hope this motivates them to update their source. Its better to be proactive than reactive ya know.. :)

durangod

May 12, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Yes its true you as in cPanel did not deprecate them, however you did post that you are going to remove them from support, so in that way yes cPanel deprectated them from the software and will remove them at a later update. If i misspoke then i apologize, but the end result is the same and alot of open source scripts are going to fail when this happens if they update their servers. But this has always been the case, it happened with php4 to 5 and so on so its nothing new. I was just trying to remind people that this was in the pipeline regardless of who actually is pulling the plug on it... Again my apology if i misspoke :)

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Yes its true you as in cPanel did not deprecate them, however you did post that you are going to remove them from support, so in that way yes cPanel deprectated them from the software and will remove them at a later update. If i misspoke then i apologize, but the end result is the same and alot of open source scripts are going to fail when this happens if they update their servers. But this has always been the case, it happened with php4 to 5 and so on so its nothing new. I was just trying to remind people that this was in the pipeline regardless of who actually is pulling the plug on it... Again my apology if i misspoke :)
I believe there may be some confusion about what the deprecation of those means exactly. They won't be removed from servers, they will not be included in the default profile, no one's scripts should stop working and we won't change your PHP version. This is noted in the documentation I provided above.

Deprecation of these versions of PHP means a few of the following things:

• We won't be including them in the default easyapache profiles any longer - you'll need to create a custom profile
  • They will not receive updates regularly as non EOL PHP versions do.
  • We will NOT change your PHP versions or remove them from the server.
  • They will remain in the repository for the time being, should we remove any versions of PHP from the repository we will announce this specifically.

durangod

May 12, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
@cPanelLauren Yes you are correct and thanks for the clarification, i posted my reply before i finished reading your link... my apology...