SOLVED Destination Host name does not match host name

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
This morning none of my email accounts for any account on my server work. I can only send mail but cannot fetch. The error message seems to be indicating a certificate issue but unless an update processed last night that I am unaware of, nothing changed on either my server or my local machine.

SSL Negotiation Failed: Certificate bad. Destination Host name does not match host name in certificate. But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted. Cause: (1813)
This happened in the past and was an error with certificates in Eudora mail client. There are no bad certificates in certificate manager at this time though. BTW, yeah I know Eudora is old, but it the cleanest and simplest UI in any email client ever created. I despise fluff, bells, whistles, and glitz like most "modern" email clients use. So lease spare me the just get a new email client comments.

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
To clarify, I have gone through the certificate manager and there are NO skull and crossbones certs. :(

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
Thank you so much for your insightful response. As an FYI it is not that I WANT TO use a clean plain UI it is that because of my severe vision issue (for which I am on total disability and covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act) I HAVE TO use such software with no choice. If I could find a clean plain simple email client without all the glitz, fluff, and crap built in that all of the "new and improved" clients that I have seen seem to have, I would gladly use such software. I apologize deeply apologize if you find my physical disabilities to be a source of amusement and a reason to roll your eyes at me in disdain.

The link you quoted is for a well know situation and has been attempted with no success. The question that I was hoping to find an answer to in order to resolve the issue was to find out whether there had been a very recent change in the SLL or related areas of cPanel that might be impacting the situation. This problem ONLY exists on my email accounts on cPanel hosted sites and it started within the last 24 hours. I eagerly await an answer. Thanks!

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I apologize deeply apologize if you find my physical disabilities to be a source of amusement and a reason to roll your eyes at me in disdain.
I’m not sure where you would get that idea, but it’s simply not the case. I’m on mobile atm so can’t google you a new mail client for the visually impaired, sorry. I cannot imagine there not being something thats at least, still supported that you could use instead.

You’re using old, eol technology hoping, needing it, to keep working with todays more advanced technology. I tried to find you a fix and you’d rather blame the newer technology, and me, for the issue?

This is absolutely a good place for an eyerolls smilie, imho, and has zero to do with your vision.

Good luck, as always.

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
I got that idea by the nature of your post and the fact that you added thr roll eyes icon. I have not blamed anyone for anything. I simply explained that my physical limitations prohibit me from using any of the glitzed up, fluffy, "modern" UI email clients. At this point I have started a direct conversation with Michael to get an actual answer to my question without being judged.

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Of course you have.

I did some digging, and it seems your Eudora mail client is based on Thunderbird, assuming you're using the latest release, that is. Thunderbird's latest version was released June 20, 2019. I also found several converters to move away from Eudora to some other mail client.

Being visually impaired, it seems to me, an even more important reason to not use Eudora. Thats not my opinion though, I never used it. These guys think no one should use it either:
Eudora OSE - MozillaWiki
Furthermore, the last released version is based on an old version of Thunderbird which is no longer supported, has many bugs and performance problems, and known security issues.
If you want to keep on using that for your own personal email, fine. I can roll my smilie about that idea if I wanna. ;)

Hopefully Michael will have a useful suggestion for you to work with.

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
I am indeed NOT using a Thurderbird clone. That is one of the newer cluttered and glitzy UIs that I cannot use. I am using an actual Eudora Pro version 6.2. Yes it is old, but it is clean simple and has no fluff. Plain clean simple single window without having to click through all sorts of tabs to get to different mailboxes for each account is so file. By your comments it is evident that not only have you never used Eudora but you have never even looked at it in action. It has a very simple clean UI that no other mail client I have seen comes close to.

I do not need a convertor. if I ever do chose to set up a new client I know how to install software and create accounts. There is nothing to convert.

Lastly I still have not gotten a response to the question as to whether anything has recently occurred with cPanel that involves email and or certificates that may have trigger this event. But yes you can be, gee what is the word I am looking for, towards people asking for assistance if you want. Anyway hopefully either Michael or Benny will actually answer the question for me so I can research to see what event is being triggered and then find a resolution.

PCZero

Dec 13, 2003
Earth
Info, thank you. That was the exact problem. Intuitively I thought it had to be a result of some sort of change on the server from the nightly update. Putting that setting back to v1 fixed the situation and I am back up and running. I appreciate that you took the extre time after our continued discussion above to research this further for me. Problem is now solved.

Reactions: Infopro