Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Detected PID 1 running outdated executable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David Newall, May 21, 2018.

1. David Newall

David Newall Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Quite recently, cPanel started sending me emails saying "Detected n processes that are running outdated executables". One of the listed PIDs is 1, which is systemd, what used to be init before Centos developers went insane. I understand the message to be saying that the executable was expected to have been restarted within the last 24 hours, but I don't think systemd does that. I'm not even sure that you can restart the process without rebooting the machine.

The machine is running CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core), and cPanel tells me it is version 11.70.0.42.

These are the processes that were listed:

root 1 0.2 0.1 128144 5820 ? Ss May18 13:05 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --switched-root --system --deserialize 22
    root 663 0.0 0.4 477816 16872 ? Ssl May18 1:19 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon
    root 1208 0.2 0.0 26776 2572 ? S May18 15:33 cpsrvd (SSL) - dormant mode - accepting connections
    root 1288 0.0 0.0 130048 2384 ? Ss May18 0:04 dnsadmin - dormant mode
    root 1296 0.0 0.3 151776 11832 ? S May18 3:31 cPhulkd - processor
    root 1315 0.0 0.0 130128 2380 ? S May18 0:13 cpdavd - accepting connections on 2077, 2078, 2079, and 2080 (dormant)

Is it a bug for PID 1 to be reported as outdated?

I thought cPanel restarted all restartable processes regularly, so why would these (other) processes have not been restarted?

Thanks.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

cPanel only manages and monitors services listed at WHM>>Service Configuration>>Service Manager services like systemd won't be managed by this.

cPanel runs /usr/bin/needs-restarting to get a list of pids that need to be restarted, regardless of whether or not they're managed by cPanel's Tailwatch/chkservd processes.

The following is the only way I know of to reload systemd without rebooting the server:

Code:
    systemctl daemon-reexec
    There's a few reasons why a process will show as needs restarting either they aren't being monitored in WHM>>Service Configuration>>Service Manager or the /usr/bin/needs-restarting may have run in between service checks, though cPanel won't restart a running service if it's running normally as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. David Newall

David Newall Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Lauren,

Thank you for your input. As you said, systemd is not one of the services listed at WHM>>Service Configuration>>Service Manager. Your hint, /usr/bin/needs-restarting, enabled me to discover that systemd was included in the list of outdated processes because libgcc-4.8.5-28.el7_5.1.x86_64 had been updated.

I restarted the machine and anticipate that the email will cease (at least, cease to include pid 1!)

Thank you for directing me to a good place to learn more about what is happening. For the benefit of anybody who is interested in learning how I discovered exactly why each process was included in the list:

--- /usr/bin/needs-restarting 2018-04-11 14:16:19.000000000 +1000
    +++ /tmp/y 2018-05-22 13:07:19.000000000 +1000
    @@ -173,6 +173,7 @@
    for pid in return_running_pids(uid=myuid):
    try:
    pid_start = utils.get_process_time(int(pid), boot_time)['start_time']
    + print 'start time of', pid, 'is', pid_start
    except (OSError, IOError), e:
    continue
    found_match = False
    @@ -185,6 +186,7 @@
    # if the file is in a pkg which has been updated since we started the pid - then it needs to be restarted
    for pkg in my.rpmdb.searchFiles(just_fn):
    if float(pkg.installtime) > float(pid_start):
    + print 'pid', pid, 'needs restarting because', just_fn, 'in package', pkg, 'was installed', (pkg.installtime-pid_start), 'seconds after process started.'
    needing_restart.add(pid)
    found_match = True
    continue

Regards,

David

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi David,

I'm really happy that my response helped and you were able to get some further information and alleviate your concerns. Thank you for sharing as well.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...