The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Determine Server Memory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ClearSky, Jan 3, 2008.

1. ClearSky

ClearSky Well-Known Member

My server has 1GB of ram, I'm positive of this. But in top it shows under total 1022480k av. If I do free -k I get 1022480 as well. But if I do free -m I get 998. Can anyone tell me why top and free -k don't seem to accurately report memory usage.

Thanks!

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

I'm suprised you didn't do a "man free" on this. :rolleyes:

Its very obvious why the numbers are a little different.

3. kkargel

kkargel Active Member

If you did a free -b you would get yet another number.. It is time to refresh your binary math knowledge.. remember that a k is 1024 bytes, and a meg is 1024 k's, so if you divide your k number by 1024 you will get your m number.. amazing, huh? :rolleyes:

4. ClearSky

Wow thanks for your dripping sarcasm, I did a quick google and I realize what I did now (google what I wrote as kilobits not kilobytes), you guys could have all not been complete smart asses and simply pointed that I made a mistake. Yes what I did was a bit newbish, but not worth eyes rolling and sarcasm.

Thanks.

5. kkargel

kkargel Active Member

Sarcasm? hmm,, maybe I did rib you a bit but I also gave you the information you asked for. Whenever you are new at anything you can expect a little kidding, and I do think that what I provided was with good intent and with constructive content. If your skin is that thin perhaps you might want to consider working where you don't have to interact with people.

Your attitude and comebacks will make it less likely that your peers are going to support you in the future. That is a shame, because peer exchange and tribal knowledge are very important in this industry.

Every one of us has gone through the newbie stage and enjoyed the good natured banter that comes along with advice from those more experienced than ourselves.

I stand by my original statement and reiterate my good advice to a newcomer that one cannot overstate the importance of understanding binary number math. You need to be able to add, subtract multiply and divide in binary, octal and hex if you want to be proficient in this industry. Everything is based on binary. Octal and hex and BCD are representations of binary to be more human readable. Understanding Boolean algebra and register shifting goes a long ways toward explaining subnetting theory.

Take as a minor example the fact that an IP address is in reality a single binary number. An IP address is not four decimal numbers each with a 255 limit. It is only represented as four decimal coded octets to make it easier for people to remember. Until you grasp how a binary IP address is manipulated by a binary subnet mask you will never fully understand routing and you will be at a disadvantage in any networking industry. Computers and routers may interpret decimal but they work in binary.

192.168.0.1 = 11000000.10101000.00000000.00000001 = 11000000101010000000000000000001 = 0xC0A80001 = C0.A8.00.01 = 3232235521

If you don't believe this then next time you want to google something try HTTP://1208929635

This is offered as constructive advice, but I suspect you will interpret it as a demeaning statement.

6. ClearSky

kkargel, yes you did provide the information, and thanks for the reminders. My point is, don't just assume people don't know something. It can be insulting, THAT's my point. So often online people just assume things, like someone has no clue about a subject. Perhaps they made a mistake, perhaps they indeed don't know it.

My point is simply this, yes good natured ribbing is fun. BUT if you were at an office and had a mentor who constantly gave you advice by putting you down, would you appreciate his advice anymore? Be honest, the answer is no.

That's what makes a good online community of peers. People who will take the time out to help each other without making assumptions and putting people down (yes you did take the time out, and that actually counts quite a bit). My only beef as by my last post, was that both of the people who took the time out felt the need to put in minor put downs and assumptions.

I got to my assumption by letting Google doing the minor lifting instead of my brain. Yes, that's my newb mistake. You guys assumed I was discussing the differences on why the MB version of free wasn't giving me 1000MB. When in fact Google was giving me a result of 128MB, which was drastically off. You didn't have all the info, and your assumptions were easy to come to, but your replies I find rather immature.

Anyhow, thanks for your time.

#6 ClearSky, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008