The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/dev/mapper/vg_server-lv_root is full, /usr/tmpDSK has loads of space available

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by souleater7, Nov 21, 2014.

1. souleater7

souleater7 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Partition Resize and remount /tmp

Hi Guys, I was wondering if you could help me, for some reason my server looks like this

root@server [/scripts]# df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/mapper/vg_server-lv_root
    50G 49G 0 100% /
    tmpfs 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/sda1 477M 140M 312M 31% /boot
    /dev/mapper/vg_server-lv_home
    1.3T 29G 1.2T 3% /home

/Home has 1.3T of space when i think it only needs a little, say 250gb, i need /dev/mapper/vg_server-lv_root to have most the space, how can i increase thisand setup my /tmp which i also unmounted :( ?

Thanks in advance

#1 souleater7, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. souleater7

souleater7 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i have deleted some files and have my cpanel back up and running, it seemed my backups were being created on root, i have now changed the config to /home/backups/ in hope they fill up the 1.2t instead, anybody know about the /tmp file, its still missing and I'm wondering what it does ant how I set it up again, all my sites and e-mail are working now.

Peter

3. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    As per the current output it clearly shows that you are having LVM partioning and your / is full. You have to increase the / partioning of the server because all the cpanel config file saves under /usr and also mysql is there so you must have increase / to 500G.

To increase / you have to use lvextend command. But if you are not sure how to use it that contact profeessional administrator. They will do this for you because one sigle mistake and your all data will be lost.

Before running lvextend you have to use lvreduce command to free up some space from /home so that you can add that space to /

Regarding /tmp I think you have not mounted it. Provide me the output of /etc/fstab file.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, I suggest consulting with your hosting provider or a qualified system administrator to have the partitions modified to match the recommendations here:

Installation Guide - Partitions

Note that you should consider adding an additional partition for your backups to avoid quota issues.

Thank you.