The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fyrebaugh, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Fyrebaugh

Fyrebaugh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok, I'm stepping into a new job here and this is my first time working with a cPanel server. So let me apologize straight up for any common practice that I may not know about.

This company has an existing cPanel CentOS server, with many domains and accounts already setup, but I have a customer who has an old PHP site that they want to update. I've created them a new account on the cPanel server, since their old site is not being handled on cPanel. I've created an A record with ftp2 pointing to the IP of the cPanel server, and a ww2 as well, I've tried both A record and CNAME for the ww2, but the website will not come up after getting all the files in the webspace.

FTP works by IP, but not by ftp2.domainname.com, and when we go to the website, we get the default website: "If you feel you have reached this page in error, please contact the web site owner:." I've setup the site on our DNS servers, pinging the site resolves to the correct IP, and if we ping thewww(dot)domainname(dot)com, we get the old IP and the old site loads correctly.

We have confirmed that an index.html is in the hidden www directory, the public_html directory, and we even created a public_html/www directory and put an index.html in there, still getting the default webpage. I have logged in as the user in user control panel and confirmed that the default folder is public_html.

Since I do not want to change the location and DNS for the original site, until the new site is up and working, I don't want to change the nameservers, so I'm not sure how to procede. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Fyrebaugh, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. arunsv84

arunsv84 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If the domain is pointing to the correct ip, then you should wait sometime for the dns to propagate. Check from a proxy website like anonymouse.org and see the results.

Cheers!!!

3. Fyrebaugh

Fyrebaugh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I set the site up yesterday, before 5 PM CDT, this morning I updated the DNS and other site hoping that would resolve it. What is an appropriate amount of time to wait?

4. arunsv84

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    24 - 48 hours. Have you checked from the proxy website as I mentioned in my last reply?

5. Fyrebaugh

Fyrebaugh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anonymouse.org took me to the same default page, publicproxy.org found no results searching for the ww2 address.

6. arunsv84

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hmm.

I think I've got it. You simply created the dns records, right? You haven't created the required domain in cPanel. Make sure to create the subdomain(say ftp.domainname.com) pointing to the directory where the website files are present. By default only the main domain will be pointed to /home/user/public_html.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!!

7. Fyrebaugh

Fyrebaugh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually I created the entire domain, so that when they have the new site up and running, we can switch over to it. Then I added the ww2 to the DNS Zone trying to get the development site on cpanel accessible.

8. arunsv84

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please note that while creating a domain, only the domainname. com & www. domainame . com will be added to Apache. If you wish to use any other subdomain, say www2.domainname. com or ftp.domainname. com, you need to create via cPanel. Simply adding the DNS records will only point the subdomains to your server, but apache wont be able to serve it.
    Whats the main domain name that you created? Is it ftp2.domainname. com or just domainname. com ?

Hope its clear.

Cheers!!!

#8 arunsv84, Apr 12, 2013
  9. Fyrebaugh

Fyrebaugh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    First off, thank you for taking the time to help, I really do appreciate it. I created the domain in cpanel as domainname.com, the same domain name that is readily accessible on the web. I then added a dns zone to it adding the ww2 as an a reference. For example:

Current site would be like, www.whatismatt .com.
    I created in cpanel whatismatt.com
    then went into the DNS zone and a ww2 A reference, and pointed it to the cpanel IP, I also added and ftp1 A reference to the same IP.

If I use fileZilla I can't connect via the ftp1.whatismatt.com, but I can using the IP. When I browse to ww2.whatismatt.com I get the default page as noted above. I have asked the previous Server Admin here for assistance, but he is currently out of pocket. I have logged into our DNS servers here and updated the records, cleared the cache and restarted them, but with no change.

(whatismatt.com) is not the real address, just an example to identify what was added, and how.

#9 Fyrebaugh, Apr 12, 2013
  10. arunsv84

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No problem.

Use the following url to check if the newly created records are pointing to the correct ip.

DNS Lookup tool, Reverse DNS lookup tool - www.DNSWatch.info

Use the box below "DNS Lookup / IP lookup" and let me know if ftp and ww2 is showing the correct records.

I believe the subdomain "ftp1.whatismatt. com" is just for connecting to ftp server. For connecting to ftp from browser you should use the following.

ftp://ftp2.domainname .com

Do you wish to access the website using ww2.whatismatt. com ? If yes, you need to edit the httpd.conf and enter the www2. domainname .com as ServerAlias under the virtual host entry or set www2 as CNAME pointing to the main domainname.

Let me know if you still face any difficulty.

11. Fyrebaugh

Fyrebaugh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When I used the DNS lookup / IP lookup on that page, the first two listings, were not the correct IP, the third was the correct IP

i.e.:
    Searching for ww2.xxx.com A record at X. [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] ...took 2 ms
    Searching for ww2.xxx.com. A record at Y. [yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy] ...took 347 ms
    Searching for ww2.xxx.com. A record at Z. [aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa] ...took 125 ms <--- our ip, but not the specific one for the cpanel server.

But then it did report the rest correctly:

A record found: ccc.ccc.ccc.ccc
    Domain Type TTL Answer
    ww2.whatismatt.com. A 43200 aaa.aaa.bbb.ccc

aaa.aaa.bbb.ccc is the correct IP and that is where I've been uploading the site and index.html pages.

#11 Fyrebaugh, Apr 12, 2013
  12. arunsv84

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ok. Thats fine. As I said if you are using ip address, you need to add ServerAlias in httpd.conf. I would recommend adding ww2.domainame. com as CNAME pointing to original domain.

ww1 IN CNAME domainname. com

This will open the website. Simply putting the ip address will open the default cPanel page because there is no entries corresponding to ww2 in Apache configuration file. If you are not sure how to make the changes, it would be better to hire an admin.

Cheers!!!

13. Fyrebaugh

Fyrebaugh Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you, editing the conf file and resetting up the DNS A Reference did it. Thank you again.

14. arunsv84

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Glad to know that everything is fine now.

Cheers!!!