LukeFive Dev

Sep 14, 2018
United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I'm a front-end developer who has been assigned back-end server duties. Last Friday I installed mod_pagespeed on our Apache2.4/Linux/PHP7. About two days later I began to notice "500" errors on two of the larger sites we host. Today I decided to uninstall mod_pagespeed and try again later. What are best practices to diagnose what went wrong?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @LukeFive Dev

That really depends on the context of the error. To diagnose that you'd want to check the apache error log for starters. You'd find it at
Code:
/etc/apache2/logs/error_log
My assumption is you'd see corresponding errors here for when you were seeing 500 errors on the site.

Thanks!

LukeFive Dev

Sep 14, 2018
United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I can find that error_log but unable to download it, and the 'tail' command doesn't want to cooperate in looking at just part of it ("option used in invalid context"). I will upload file from elsewhere in the WHM that shows the last 300 lines. I scrubbed private company info.

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
HI @LukeFive Dev

The errors seem to only indicate one issue:
Code:
AH01797: client denied by server configuration: /home/admin/public_html/example.com/wp-content/cache/page_enhanced/www.example.com
This is most commonly a permissions issue - you might want to take a look at apache's documentation on the error here: ClientDeniedByServerConfiguration - Httpd Wiki

LukeFive Dev

Sep 14, 2018
United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Reactions: cPanelLauren