The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did CPanel 4 upgrade change something?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wallaby, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2001
    We recently upgraded our WHM/CPanel from CPanel 3.5 to 4.0 (build 68).

We have seen a change in behaviour that I can only conclude is due to this, and wonder if someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm if my assumptions are right.

Situation _now_ is that sites on the system allow only execution of scripts in a cgi-bin diry. In other words, any html files, gif, jpg etc placed into a cgi-bin diry will simply return error 403 forbidden.

However, in the past, this has definitely not been the case: html and images etc were viewable just as if they were in the website\'s home diry (we have one user who has built a large system based on this being the case that was working until recently, apparently until the CPanel upgrade).

Having looked around a bit, my understanding is that the default, usually considered correct, Linux/Apache setup for cgi-bin directories is to allow only execution of scripts in a cgi-bin diry?

Can any Linux guru out there confirm if this is the case? (I want to get my facts right before telling the user! My advice will be to move the system to another directory since scripts will run from anywhere).

Can anyone confirm if there has been a change introduced by CPanel in a recent update?

2. nitromax

nitromax Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    Same Problem Here.... Sort of...

I don't honestly remember if .html files or image files were working in the past since we recently got CPanel, but we are having the same problem in transffering over customers from another server. They have .html files in their /cgi-bin directory or beyond that (like: /cgi-bin/dirname/page.html) and they do not display or work anymore.

There must be a setting in the httpd.conf file that must be set to make them work correctly.

Anyone know how to get them working?