The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I setup my rdns correctly?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by DJ XtAzY, Nov 15, 2009.

1. DJ XtAzY

DJ XtAzY Member

Let use this example:

Server Hostname: some.hostname.com [1.1.1.1]

The server comes with 4 addition IPs (say [1.1.1.2 - 1.1.1.5])

I have 2 nameservers on the same server (i use my personal website domain as my nameserver):
    ns1.hostname1.com (1.1.1.2)
    ns2.hostname1.com (1.1.1.3)

The shared IP i use for hosting my personal website (www.hostname1.com) (and maybe others) is (1.1.1.4)

So basically I configured the rdns of 1.1.1.1 to my server's hostname: some.hostname.com
    I also configured the shared IP 1.1.1.4 to some.hostname.com

Is that correct? The reason why I'm asking is because Hotmail keeps on rejecting my emails sent from my server. I'm pretty sure my DomainKeys and SPF is setup correctly.

#1 DJ XtAzY, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What IP address do you use for sending out email (it can be found in the headers). That IP is what needs to have the rDNS for the hostname the email server is using.

A bounce email will show you both the IP and hostname of the mailserver that sent it so you can double check from there.

3. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

By default the mail IP of the server is used as a Mail server IP in your case is 1.1.1.1. So you better set a rDNS record for IP 1.1.1.1. BTW, you cannot set rDNS from the server. rDNS is set by the owner of the IP.