The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between 'cpmove' and 'Full Backup' files?

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by nesanjoseph, Oct 8, 2011.

1. nesanjoseph

nesanjoseph Active Member

Hi,

I tried the "/scripts/pkgacct" command to do backup of my accounts. But when I tried the various options after reading the documentation for /scripts/pkgacct , I now have the following doubts.

1) What is the difference in the purpose of the following files?
    a) cpmove-user6.tar.gz [got by using no options]
    b) backup-10.8.2011_18-28-46_user6.tar.gz [got by using --userbackup option]
    c) user6.tar.gz [got by using --backup option]

All the above files varies in size and cpmove-user6.tar.gz was the biggest.

2) Could any of you please clarify me which file is the best for performing a better restore of the account?

Many thanks,
    Nesan Joseph R.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The differences between --backup and --userbackup are primarily the naming/ownership of the resulting backup file.

The difference between --backup or --userbackup vs. leaving out either option is that both backup options will obey your cpbackup-exclude.conf configurations (which allow excluding files/dirs from being backed up). The absence of either backup option will ignore those configurations and backup 100% of the account.

In practice you really shouldn't be manually calling pkgacct with --backup or --userbackup. Those flags are really only intended to be called upon by cPanel/WHM's own mechanisms.

--backup by cpbackup (daily/weekly/monthly backups)
    --userbackup when a user generates a full backup in their cPanel UI

There's no harm in using them, but simply be aware of their differences as above. Generally if you're going to be running pkgacct manually, you're going to want to run it "as is" and not with either backup option. This way you're sure to snapshot the whole account despite any backup exclusions you or the client may have setup to otherwise streamline daily/weekly/monthly backups.

3. nesanjoseph

nesanjoseph Active Member

Hi,

Thanks. Very clear answer.

Nesan Joseph R.