The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Difference between GoDaddy Workspace & cPanel Email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by SeanFilidis, Jan 25, 2015.

1. SeanFilidis

SeanFilidis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have a Godaddy account.

As part of that I have workspace email. That allows me to create email accounts that correspond to the domains that I own with Godaddy. I can create a new email account called something@domainthatIown.com from the Workspace Email area (see screenshot).

Also, I have cPanel hosting. All the domains that I have registered with GoDaddy are hosted with cPanel. cPanel also gives me the option to create and manage email accounts (see screenshot).

For any given domain, what is the difference between creating/managing an email account via the Workspace, and via cPanel. I have noted that one could create the same email address using both places, but they would be completely unrelated. ( if I owned example.com I could create dude@example.com in my GoDaddy Workspace area, but also go to cPanel and create that same email address, but they would not be related).

What the heck is the difference?? How do I know which one to use? If I sent an email to dude@example.com would it arrive in my Workspace are, or in my cPanel area??

1.png

2 .png

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

These are two separate interfaces that are unrelated to one another. If your MX records point to the cPanel server, then use cPanel to create/manage email accounts. If your MX records point to GoDaddy, then use the workspace interface to create/manage email accounts.

Thank you.

3. Katie T

Katie T Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Howdy Sean,

Great question. These are two different email offerings for our cPanel product, and while both are included in your GoDaddy cPanel account there is one key difference. Workspace email is stored off box and backed up independently of your cPanel account.

Thanks,
    Katie
    GoDaddy

4. SeanFilidis

SeanFilidis Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok. Wow. So the MX record effectively acts as the "switch" deciding which email interface is "active."

GoDaddy convinced me to pay for 10 WorkSpace email addresses (without a paid plan you cannot use IMAP). But now I wonder, if I switched the MX record to route email through cPanel instead, would I have unlimited access to and control over all the emails I needed? Did I get conned?

Sean

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's a question better asked to your hosting provider. I suggest consulting with your hosting provider and have them verify what's acceptable/supported regarding your email usage.

Thank you.

6. Katie T

Katie T Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Apologies on the delay, I've been investigating this in the background to see what happened. You are given access to an inbox for the WorkSpace email, but always have the option to upgrade for more space. I would like to dig in to this further but would need a few account details. If you could email me directly at ktole@ godaddy.com (minus the space) I can work with you to ensure you have exactly what products you need.

Thanks
    Katie

#6 Katie T, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2015
  7. AMM

AMM Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i have the same problem with my cpanel emails and my workspace email. I dont know which to use. I created users using the cpanel , i can send messages but can not receive messages while the same user created on workspace can send/receive but does not support imap. Am in a dilemma over this problem.

Please help urgently !!!!!!!!!

8. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    My guess is you have "workspace" you would get a better answer if you connected your providers support and not the cpanel forums as their 3rd party mail implementation has nothing to do with cPanel

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator