The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different nameservers with same IP's ???

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Hostbox.be, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Hostbox.be

Hostbox.be Well-Known Member

Hi

I have a question about setting up nameservers for resellers.

On my server I have two IP's that I actually use for my nameservers ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com
    Let's say:
    1.1.1.1 ns1.mydomain.com
    2.2.2.2 ns2.mydomain.com

Now I have a reseller that wants his own nameservers. So I guess I have to do the following:
    Register his domainname reseller.com with nameservers: ns1.reseller.com with glue record 1.1.1.1
    ns2.reseller.com with glue record 2.2.2.2

Then edit his DNS zone on my server:
    reseller.com. NS ns1.reseller.com
    ns1 A 1.1.1.1
    ns2 A 2.2.2.2

Should this work ?

Can he use ns1.reseller.com and ns2.reseller.com for registering domains for his clients (on my server)?

If this works, I have enough with two different IP's on my server. I don't have to order extra IP's ? I can reuse the same IP's for my nameservers and for the nameservers of my resellers ?
    Is this correct of am I wrong ?

Thanks in advance for any help !!

2. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

You can use the same ip for the nameservers however, you need to go into Tweak Settings and go to allow nameserver ip sharing or something like that. I don't recommend using the same ips I would always recommend giving different ones just a personal preference as I known many use the same and it mess up bind after.

3. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

I doing this without a problem. The sharing of ips tweek options has not even been implamented so checking or uncheck this option does nothing. When you have 50 resellers on a box all wanting their own nameservers it seems ludicrous to get 100 ips just for this reason. Just let them register their own nameserver names using the same ip as your main nameservers then add those nameservers to DNS when your clients have their nameservers registered.