The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different owners for subdomains?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by primerano, Sep 13, 2012.

1. primerano

primerano Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is it possible to run blog.example.com and IANA — Example domains under different users?

I find that over time I end up with several apps under several subdomains. In the past one of those apps was compromised and this resulted in all my apps being vulnerable.

Because of that I run all my apps as different users.

It also seems a little crazy to me that the subdomains are under the main public_html directory. This means I can get to blog.example.com from example.com/blog.

Is there a way to segragate things? I think i can change the path for a subdomain easily enough but changing the owner would be even better IMO.

2. PlotHost

PlotHost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    For me the best option is to create different cPanel accounts for subdomains. One cPanel account for sub1.example.com , another cPanel account for sub2.example.com ...

3. robertlee749

robertlee749 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    In my sense its possible,when we have to choose different names then its possible to different owners for subdomains.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it's acceptable to create a new account for each specific subdomain. You will need to ensure that subdomain is not already added to an existing account before creating a separate account for it.

Thank you.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you don't want to create a new account, but also don't want the subdomains within public_html to possibly cause a compromise to the whole account, you can place the subdomain into /home/username/subdomainname location by changing the documentroot field for the subdomain on creation in cPanel > Subdomains area.

This would ensure the subdomain is separated from public_html content for the main domain and any other subdomain folders.