The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different Style Usernames

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by archickm, Oct 1, 2004.

1. archickm

archickm Registered

Our university has an educational license and we are looking to use cPanel to give our students their own web sites and file space. We also like the addition of giving them the ability to have databases for classes and hobbies...

Our issue is that we have usernames that are all a bit different. Some of our usernames have underscores "_" and others start or end in numbers, whereas most of our faculty and staff acounts are regular 8 to 9 char usernames. For the faculty and staff the product works great and as expected, but for our students their usernames get the "_" ripped out of the username and thus a different username is generated.

Is there a way around the multiple styles of usernames within cPanel or are we out of luck?

Here's our release info:
    WHM 9.9.0 cPanel 9.9.0-C55
    RedHat Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

Thanks,

Mike

2. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

You cannot use an underscore in a username. That would break a number of scripts. I do not see cPanel rewriting those scripts in the near future.

3. stech

stech Member

Also in an educational environment, need FP assistance

I am also in an educational environment and would like to give students their own Front Page Webs. Is there a way to create subdomains for students that require different usernames / passwords to access each subdomain via Front Page?

We want to setup for instance

student1.schoolsite.com
    student2.schoolsite.com

so that each student can access their own subdomain but NOT each others..

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

I am not sure about the FP compatibility (I am leaning towards no but would have to test), but you can setup seperate accounts pointing to different subdomains (or more correctly 'hosts').