Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Directing users to a specific protected folder

Discussion in 'Security' started by Kenny Fix, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Kenny Fix

Kenny Fix Registered

Hi all

Hope someone can help...

I want to create a simple log in form on my site which takes users to a specific cPanel password protected directory. The form needs to recognise the user name and thus direct that specific user to a specific password protected folder (eg: if joe1 logs in with the correct password he will be taken to the password protected folder named 'joefolder1').

All the login/password details need to be entered directly into a form on my site rather than using the default browser username/password pop up in Internet Explorer.

Sorry if this is basic stuff but I have trawled the forums for a similar posting and can't find anything that helps me out.

Any pointers would be genuinely appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kenny

2. NT

NT Well-Known Member

Hi,

Why does it have to specifically be a cPanel protected directory - couldn't you develop (or hire) a developer to make a simple system like this for you?

Thanks,
    Nick.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Kenny Fix

Kenny Fix Registered

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted to use the cPanel directory protection beacuse I can manage it with ease via the interface.

I was hoping this was just a case of adding a few lines of code to the log-in form or is this wishful thinking?

4. NT

NT Well-Known Member

Hi,

I guess it'd be possible, but when they login through your website, you would have to set a few variables so that the HTTP Authentication dialogue doesn't display.

It would probably be easier for you to have a simple member system with an admin backend where you can administer users.

Hope that helps,
    Nick.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Kenny Fix

Kenny Fix Registered

Thanks Nick.. you could be right - i will have a go and see what i can come up with.

Anybody know of a good tutorial for creating a member system with specific rules for specific user id's ?

Thanks for the help so far.

Kenny.

6. NT

NT Well-Known Member

7. Kenny Fix

Kenny Fix Registered

Thanks again Nick - cool resource!