The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directory named \t\t\t\t at root of filesystem after update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oriso, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Oriso

Oriso Member

Hello everyone,

We've been running CPanel on a server for many years now, and at the beginning of this year, installed a backup solution that acts as an offline backup solution for us. We've had errors in our backups appearing in the beginning of october, coinciding closely to our update of CPanel to version 11.

When /scripts/upcp is run, it seems to create a folder, at / level named \t\t\t\t in bash, or other names in other shells. We ended up aware of that cuz our backup solution couldn't backup the folder.

If I run upcp manually, I also get the folder back (I managed to delete it using fish:// in Konqueror). I did not see any errors in my log of upcp that would indicate why this folder is created. I obviously want to see my backup logs with no error, and as this is the only error, I wish to resolve it.

Anyone has ever seen this problem before? Search on the forum did not give me much so far.

Thanks,

Alain

2. concreteman

concreteman Well-Known Member

yeah, my new folder is called ???? or looks like line returns on another. I delete them and they come back like magic

3. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this occur on our test systems. What version of cP/WHM are you running?

4. concreteman

WHM 11.11.0 cPanel 11.15.0-E17700
    REDHAT 9 i686 on standard - WHM X v3.1.0

Happened on a current build actually and hasn't gone away. I'de be willing to discuss it with support, but their response to my last 2 tickets were not too impressive.

[cPanel tickets ID# 220202] Re: Unable to access outside servers

[cPanel tickets ID# 219968] Re: CP 11 Up broke bind

#4 concreteman, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you both using the same third party backup solution? Do you have any idea *where* during the upcp process the strange folder gets created? Check the logs in /var/cpanel/updatelogs for that info (if it gets logged).

6. concreteman

I do standard backups using CPbackup, Problem isn't backups it's the root level folder created that is causing his errors. If that were my only error I would be tickled. I did notice when I removed my ???? folder, it was recreated at 12:03AM which is when I got updates. I deleted it again and will see when it comes back.

At the moment I have other issues I am dealing with after Apache 2.2up, like nearly identical sites, with identical configs (php). One works/other doesn't. Or the site that did work after the upgrade and doesn't now throwing 500's traced to bad Zend but the downgrade failed, so I'll do it by hand again. Or CPanel claiming I'm still using mbox, so I run the script again and pray people don't end up with dups again.

I'de get less calls about changing stuff than I get about stuff not working as expected. Most people set it and forget it anyway. I almost like Cpanel when it works, but dread updates. They stay behind on updating, then there's still problems, I'll quit complaining before it gets ugly.

Here is one of my logs, the names were changed to protect the inocent (this came in about the same time the folder was created)...

7. heyjohnboy

heyjohnboy Well-Known Member

same folder caused a disaster for us

We found the same \t\t\t\t folder the very next day after upgrading a server from 10.8 to 11.1. Unfortunately, we were dealing with a hack that day as well, and didn't put 2 and 2 together to understand that is was a benign folder created by cpanel. So one of our techs tried desperately to delete it (it can't be accessed using bash) and when he succeeded in deleting it using an FTP client, it proceeded to delete the ENTIRE /boot directory. Needless to say, what followed was an unplanned weekend scrambling to move all of the accounts on that box to a different server.

In the process of restoring the backups we also discovered that the MySQL DBs of two or three sites were corrupted IN THE BACKUP. Is there any provision for notifying the server admin when a backup errors out like it apparently did on these few accounts? If we had found this out after a failure of the primary data it would have been a far worse experience.

8. concreteman

ouch, that hurts... unless there is a reason you can't have the folder there, I would leave it. It doesn't seem to be a kit of any sort but I think with your config it will be back. I have been able to remove the folder a few times with mc but it hasn't caused me any problems. Glad I didn't try scp on it, I'm having enough problems.

9. DaveUsedToWorkHere

Is this only happening on RedHat 9, or are people experiencing this on other OSes as well?

10. yurster

yurster Member

Exists on RHES 3 also

I have servers running RHES 3 and I have the same folders. I don't have it on my RHES 4 servers.

11. DaveUsedToWorkHere

Are there any files in the directory? What are the permissions and ownership of the directory and any files? If there are any files in that directory, does lsof show any of them as open?

12. yurster

yurster Member

Owner of folder is root. I'm not sure how to view the files in it from bash. any suggestions?

13. DaveUsedToWorkHere

can you:

Code:
    cd /
    ls -la
    cd \t\t\t\t
    ls -la
    lsof
    can you paste the output of the first 4, you can pm me the lsof output if you're not comfortable with pasting the filenames here.

Thanks

14. yurster

yurster Member

I get "No such file or directory"

I even tried escaping the slashes "cd \\t\\t\\t\\t" still didn't work.

15. DaveUsedToWorkHere

Can you try and tab complete the name of the directory in bash. Try typing a single \t and then hitting tab, or combinations of escaped slashes.

16. yurster

yurster Member

Yeah...I should have mentioned I tried that too. I'm going to try and google it to see what I find...

17. jpetersen

jpetersen Well-Known Member

Looks to be an empty directory:

Code:
    -bash-2.05b# pwd
    /

Code:
    -bash-2.05b# ls -al
    total 133
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Oct 22 17:58 ????

-bash-2.05b# dir
    \t\t\t\t

-bash-2.05b# ls<tab><tab>
    ^I^I^I^I

Code:
    vi /
    " Press ? for keyboard shortcuts
    " Sorted by name (.bak,~,.o,.h,.info,.swp,.obj at end of list)
    [b]"= /
                                    /[/b]

Code:
    -bash-2.05b# cd `perl -e 'print "\t"'`*
    -bash-2.05b# ls -al
    total 2
    drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Oct 22 17:58 .
    drwxr-xr-x   21 root     root         1024 Oct 22 18:09 ..

18. DaveUsedToWorkHere

It's likely that this is created by a script that was attempting to add the characters into a file. I'm not sure where it came from though. I'd recommend thoroughly checking your system if you find this as I haven't seen it with any consistency.