Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Directory Privacy numbers in password issue

Discussion in 'User Experience' started by davidmcc3, Oct 5, 2018.

1. davidmcc3

davidmcc3 Member

Hi
    I make extensive use of Directory Privacy when prototyping websites. The client is given a link and a username/password so they can see progress as the site is designed and built.

I've recently come across an issue which I originally thought was UIE (User Intervention Error) ... but on testing, I've found it to be an issue with cPanel.

When I create a password, it often includes numbers ... which I type on the keyboard's number keypad.

If the password is entered with the numbers typed in from the main section of the keyboard (i.e. above the alpha keys), the password fails.

I've not experienced a difference between the two sets of number keys with any other application, either PC-based or through a browser.

This seems a mad behaviour. Can others please check. If it's a problem on my server, I need to take it up with the hosting company.

Many thanks, David

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. davidmcc3

davidmcc3 Member

Hi cPanelLauren
    I'm aware (from being in the IT industry 35+ years) that they are mapped differently, but it's an age since I came across an application which hasn't been updated to ensure the behaviour isn't different.
    I know of no other password entry system which differentiates ... after all in a password the digit '1' is just the digit '1'.
    My personal opinion is that this is a bug (i.e. something which doesn't happen as expected), and needs to be addressed by the development team.
    Can you pass this on or raise a ticket for it?
    As just a user of cPanel, I don't have that sort of access to the official support system.
    Regards, David

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You do actually. There's a link in header of these forums titled "Defects". Clicking that drops you on the ticket system page where you can login with your ticket system credentials and provide details in a new ticket for the Technical Support team to look into for you.

I would only add here that I attempted to duplicate the issue but could not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 Infopro, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  5. davidmcc3

davidmcc3 Member

Hi Infopro
    I've been trying since you posted to get to Defects, but each time I try to login, I'm getting a 503.

I'm in the UK using a UK keyboard ... could that have something to do with it ... and perhaps why it doesn't happen to you.

This was reported to me by a couple of clients, and it happens on my PC when I tried it. Not a browser issue as have tried it with three different ones.

Can someone else test and log this?

Thanks, David

6. Infopro

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There was an issue yesterday but that's since been resolved as far as I know. If you wouldn't mind, please try logging in today and let us know how it goes for you on that end.

Thanks!

7. davidmcc3

davidmcc3 Member

Okay ... can now get passed the 503 after multiple tries.

However, still can open a Support Request ticket ... it's asking for the Support Access ID, and I don't have access to the Support Centre to find it - I don't have the right sort of relationship with cPanel - I'm a user (reseller) not the host owner.

So I'm still stuck with a bug I can't officially report.

8. Infopro

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, you've still got some options. :)

I'm not sure if anyone else here on the forums attempted to duplicate, I couldn't. But you can still report an issue with your account by contacting your Hosting Provider. Assuming they can duplicate it on your account, they surely know how to open a ticket directly to cPanel Technical Support, if they can't sort it for you on that end.