The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directory Protection

Discussion in 'Security' started by abdusalam, Jun 21, 2010.

1. abdusalam

abdusalam Member

Hello

Please i have problem..i have directory on website hosting and i want to protect this directory (or hide it it's recommended) .. i don't want the administrator access this directory from FTP software (file manager not from web access) .. can i do it ???

please help me as soon as possible and sorry about my English language it's not good

thanks

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is not possible

The administrator of a server, the root user, has access to every file and directory. There is no way to hide a directory from the root administrator. The root user (also called the superuser) on Linux or Unix has access to everything.

3. abdusalam

abdusalam Member

Please help me Mr.Jared Ryan

thanks Jared Ryan for your reply

but what's the solution in your opinion.. I'm web designer & want to upload the design on hosting and i wand to protect my design from stolen (Copyright )

i have password of administrator now but after i upload the design it will change from organization

please help my if there is any outer why to make it

thanks very much

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Assuming that you're wanting to upload this to the server but do not want it to be available via the Web, upload to a directory outside the /public_html/ directory. For example you could create a directory called WorkRoom and upload to it: /home/username/WorkRoom/

If you want to upload this directory and hide it so that the Server Administrator cannot see it, please see Jared's post above.

5. abdusalam

abdusalam Member

how ??

Infopro , thanks and can you till me how can i do that with details

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sure, login to your cPanel account and find the File Manager Icon and click. On the popup select the top option Home Directory. Also tick the box at bottom Show Hidden Files (dot files) and then hit Go button.

You are now (when the new window opens) outside of the public_html directory, you'll see it there on the list of directories.

At top right of window, find New Folder icon and click. A small window opens, Type in a folder name here. You can leave the bottom section empty for location, we're creating it right here. Next click Create New Folder button and the page will refresh, and you'll see your new folder.

Double click the folder icon beside the title you gave your folder to navigate into it. Upload whatever you need to and you're done.

:)

7. abdusalam

abdusalam Member

thanks ..

thanks .. but i'm still confuse cos i want hide some files on www root ,it's private work from access by administrator ,if you have any idea please help

thank very much
    bets regards

8. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    What part exactly are you stuck on? You'll need to be more specific.

9. abdusalam

abdusalam Member

oky infopro, the problem is .. i'm web designer and i'm finished now from desing website and want to upload ,now i have administrator user&pass for customers (administrator login ) but when i finished design and upload th website ,i'll give the password for customer who's will change it ...

... now my design in folder ..and i want to protect my design from stolen and copy .how can i prevent the customer (the administrator)
    from access to my design folder via FTP

i hope this is clear ,and sorry about my english language

10. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can't. Once you've uploaded something to someone elses account and they've changed the password, you're out. There is no way for you to protect a directory there that you've uploaded to them, from being touched.

I've never heard of a theme designer selling his work but not allowing them to touch it after he's provided the product to the end user. You can surely add copyright to it somewhere and request that it's not removed as most do in this sort of situation I think, but to expect them not to look at, touch, edit or download the theme itself?

11. abdusalam

abdusalam Member

Thanks alot

Thanks Infopro about share
    best regards