Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Directory Structure? CGI-BIN location?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gallilaw, Apr 6, 2005.

1. gallilaw

gallilaw Registered

I am switching from a pretty logical system which had this form of path to vhosts

/home/webadmin/site1.com/html/index.html
    /home/webadmin/site1.com/cgi-bin

/home/webadmin/site2.com/html/index.html
    /home/webadmin/site2.com/cgi-bin

Having just opened up Cpanel on Linux for the first time, I see my path looks like this

/home/username/public_html/
    /home/username/public_html/cgi-bin

This looks pretty strange -- defaulting a cgi-bin file into a public html directory, and no cgi-bin outside the public html directory.

Can someone explain what's going on?

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

The cgi-bin is just placed inside the websites directory. It makes it simple. Since the websites directory is public_html and the cgi-bin is inside it, any cgi scripts would be domain.com/cgi-bin/script.pl.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gallilaw

gallilaw Registered

I thought there was a security problem when the cgi-bin directory was located within a public html directory...

Anyway, all the path statements in the shopping carts and other scripts I have to move point to a cgi-bin outside the public directory.

It's going to take a lot of work to reconfigure the scirpts.

4. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

It is easy enough to change this location in /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf for a particular domain (or the default).

Look for the ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ line under the VirtualHost container for the domain in question and change it from

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/AccountName/public_html/cgi-bin/
    to
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/AccountName/cgi-bin/

(if that's what you want)

You'll have to manually create the new directory

I recently switched to Cpanel from an Ensim box and the /cgi-bin/ directory was outside of the public_html area. I also preferred this setup if I had to give clients access to the general html directory. With /cgi-bin one level above I could be assured they were not going to play around with any scripts.

Hope this helps.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Only if it isn't protected by a ScriptAlias in the VirtualHost container, which it is.

There's nothing wrong with doing it either way, it's different on a cPanel server, so you simply need to adapt :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...