The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directory \t\t\t\t created by cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lorio, Jan 24, 2012.

1. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    #1 lorio, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please open up a ticket to use using WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature. I cannot find any internal cases about this issue. Please post the ticket number here so we can track it to follow up on the forum.

3. dhost

dhost Active Member

We've had it created on our server a couple of years ago but nobody could identify its purpose. We changed servers so it didn't become an issue but it was mysterious.

4. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The directory is empty and can be removed without problems ( the slashes are sometimes a problem for certain programs or tools - so try a different way).

As a hint for finding the root of the issue is the update script.
    The t t t t and the time when the directory is created let me guess that the update routines around the timezone are might be creating this directory under certain conditions. This command was executed when the strage directory was created:

Code:
    /bin/sh /var/tmp/pear-build-root/timezonedb-2011.14/libtool --mode=compile gcc  -I. -I/root/tmp/pear/timezonedb -DPHP_ATOM_INC -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/timezonedb-2011.14/include -I/var/tmp/pear-build-root/timezonedb-2011.14/main -I/root/tmp/pear/timezonedb -I/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/include/php -I/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/include/php/main -I/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/include/php/TSRM -I/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/include/php/Zend -I/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/include/php/ext -I/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/include/php/ext/date/lib -I/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/include/php/ext/date/lib  -Wall -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -g -O2   -c /root/tmp/pear/timezonedb/timezonedb.c -o timezonedb.lo
    If you find such a directory compare the creation time with the logs of /scripts/upcp.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I cannot speak to the one from years ago, however the latest instance of this being created was due to a flaw in handling PEAR in 11.31. It should not exist on 11.30 servers (to my knowledge). As lorio points out this was occurring via scripts/update_php_timezonedb which is only in 11.32.

6. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The flaw ?was? there. I currently run a test installation with EDGE and Centos 6. The directory t/t/t/t is currently build with every upcp. The timezonedb.so cannot be found/build. /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/timezonedb.so

The PEAR Module installer isn't retrieving any packages under "PHP Extensions and Applications Package Available for Installation".

The four t directory is still a sign for paths with a lot of t in. So to look at the logfiles for timezone error might be a good idea (even on NonEdge cpanel installations).

7. jcollake

jcollake Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have also seen this. I was concerned it was a breach of some sort, so searched and ended up here. Running CentOS 6 with latest cPanel. The current cPanel version is 11.32 build 1.

This directly was recently created or updated, according to its date. The server was only recently set up (this month).

Anyway, so that's that - we know the cause, and while an error, at least it is benign.

#7 jcollake, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  8. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The directory is also created under Centos 5.X.

Might be fixed with closing of this case:
    Fixed case 58013: hard coded cpanel/3rdparty location needs removed from scripts/update_php_timezonedb

Not sure, but we will see in the next days.