The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Directory: /usr/local/cpanel-rollback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeanie, Aug 22, 2006.

1. jeanie

jeanie Member
    PartnerNOC

Recently, I have begun noticing clients' /usr partitions running our of space. Upon investigation, I find the directory /usr/local/cpanel-rollback using over 900M.

This directory contains various directories, containing configuration files which (I assume) can be used to roll cPanel back to a previous state.

Is this something new? I have never seen this directory before and do not see it on all servers.

Do the files in this directory get removed after a certain time period? Or do they keep accumulating?

2. andren

andren Active Member

Same here. Anyone having an idea?

3. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

it is a new feature, you can enable/disable it via WHM > Tweak Settings

4. andren

andren Active Member

Well, it is disabled, but still there is the 700MB directory....

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you disable it, you'll still probably have to remove any existing data (carefully). IT keeps 5 rotations, IIRC. If you don't want the hassles of running the riskier versions, you should stick to STABLE or RELEASE. If you're going to stick with them, then you need to follow the changelog more closely.

6. andren

andren Active Member

Actually it was never enabled but still made the backup. 5 rotations is correct, every two days in our case.

7. jeanie

jeanie Member
    PartnerNOC

When I read about rollback changes in the changelog, I had thought they related to the configuration file rollbacks in the backup/restore functions.

Then, I saw these directories. However, I only saw them on two clients' servers. When I checked our company-run servers, I did not see anything like this. That was why I was confused and decided to ask if this was, in fact, a whole new feature.

Also, since not many details could be found in the forums (and none in documentation), I wanted more information.

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It would have been enabled if you've been using EDGE for a while. It's only in the recent releases that there's been an option to disable it.

9. andren

andren Active Member

We never used edge, only current. Cpanel worked on the server though for a few days recently when the cpserv/chkserved bugs ran rampant...

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Since EDGE and CURRENT are running pretty much the same version at present, that's moot.

11. abrender

abrender Active Member

Is it safe to move the cpanel-rollback directory to another partition and link it?

My concern is that some cpanel software might do an:
    if (-d "/usr/local/cpanel-rollback")

which would fail if we moved & linked it.

Thanks,

12. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

Same question here. My datacenter created a seperate partition for /usr/local, and I would prefer to move the cpanel-rollback directory to another partition with more space.

13. Astoria

Astoria Member

I discovered the cpanel-rollback directory and moved/symlinked it to resolve the disk space problem before I saw this thread. Keeping it on /usr was not an option for me - with the 4 iterations it has created since the cpanel auto-update that turned it on, it had devoured over 30% of my /usr partition and had it sitting at 96% full.

(It was also set to "off" in my WHM. I am tweaking some other settings this morning so maybe the "off" will now register).

Anyway, if something blows up due to my moving the directory I'll report back in.

14. Astoria

Astoria Member

Bad default setting for cpanel-rollback in WHM

When I tweaked my settings, got the following:

Updating "Roll Back System" from "" to "0".

Hopefully it is turned off now.

15. Jim Boy

Jim Boy Member

I've got the same problem. If it is enabled, why dos it say it is disabled? And do I have to enable it and then disable it?

Also is it possible to keep users in the loop when such major changes are made, say by getting WHM to email the contracts with a centrally created newsletter, rtaher than waiting to something goes wrong forcing users to this forum?

Also can it be knocked back to say- 2 rotations rather than five. My disk usage jumped 5% overnight to 86% and this is a real concern to me.

16. twincascos

twincascos Registered

Echo concerns

I've had the same problem this past week, sudden loss of disc space,
    I have a vps with 10 gigas, with cpanel coming in close to 1 giga, now a rollback of close to 1giga, leaves little room for everything else.

I've opened the whm/tweak settings and saved it, numerous "new" options were set from "" to "0"
    and since I don't have any ware to put the rollback I've removed 4 of the 5 rollback directories with:
    Code:
    rm -drfv folderNumber 
    The rollback folders are here, /usr/local/cpanel-rollback.

I am now hoping that no new rollback folders will be created and if needed the one folder that I left may be of use.