The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disable BCC

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by punk, Dec 10, 2004.

1. punk

punk Member

Help: How to Disable BCC ?

Hi all,

May i disable 'bcc' (blind carbon copy) to prevent my server to send email using bcc ? I think it's possible to add some words at exim.conf, to discard all outgoing email that contain bcc.

Any help greatly appreciate. Regards.

#1 punk, Dec 10, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

and why would you want to do that?

It seems like a good way to annoy clients and send them all to competitors... unless you are the only user of this server and you're not going to be sending any emails with BCC addressees?

3. punk

punk Member

Thx for your reply. This just for my private company's server, need to prevent if someone using it to send unsolicited email or SPAM using bcc trick :)

4. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Well be sure to secure your server properly, and make sure you don't have any Formmail cgi's running, or any other insecure scripts and that your mailserver is only relaying for authorized users and you should be fine without having to do that. Plus, spam doesn't necessarily need to be sent bcc, so it'll just be sent anyways without using bcc.

I know of no way to selectively prevent bcc mails... not having needed this feature before... so read the docs at exim.org or ask their list your question... they would likely know more about it than anyone here.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

AFAIK, you cannot filter out BCC requests. Well, you might be able to if exim is the MUA (i.e. you're sending the emails using the exim binary with the -t option which you most likely would from a CGI or PHP script). However, if you're sending using exim as the MTA and using another application as the MUA (e.g. connecting a socket over port 25 from a script, or using an email client from your PC), then no, because the BCC field will have been stripped and the SMTP server will simply deliver the emails to the receipients as requested, it will not know whether the recipient was addressed using BCC.

However, do feel free to ask on the exim list as dezignguy suggested ;)