Disable bounce messages in exim

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Why don't these people just set up a blackhole ? What is the "advantage" of the custom filter solution is ?
I believe the purpose of this is to alert the sender that their message was not delivered.

Thank you.

mike_n

Nov 27, 2015
LS
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I believe the purpose of this is to alert the sender that their message was not delivered.

Thank you.
okay, if I understand you correctly, you mean that this code is used to send the original sender of the email an undeliverable message ?

that is exactly what this code is supposed to stop: the code suppresses all bounce emails and logs a message into the exim logs. This is used to prevent to bounce off spam from our servers.

The question remains (as a few peeps have set this up over the years, u will find when googling) why these users not simply used a blackhole ?

I'm sure there is something that I'm missing that is worth the effort setting up this code... (?!)

- M

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
You can simply use the "blackhole" option in your case. The following post explains why some users require additional configurations:

Disable bounce messages in exim

Thank you.

mike_n

Nov 27, 2015
LS
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
@ cPanelMichael: Naturally I read that post and the included link, before I made my first post here in this thread...

it is still not clear, what could be a reason or what is an example of going the custom filter route over the blackhole... (?)

I've asked now a few times, repeatedly, directly, but ur answers are either very broad or cryptic...

and no, the post u refer does NOT explain why some users may require additional configurations.... it simply deals with implementing the code properly.

again: all of the posts, including the post by the OP as well as Farhad's page (farhad.ca/2006/07/27/how-to-disable-delayed-bounce-back-messages-in-exim/) deal with "How to disable delayed bounce back messages in exim" and the title of this very thread is "Disable bounce messages in exim".

Since this can be achieved via a blackhole, why fiddle with a custom exim filter ?

There's gotta be a reason if quite a few people do it and Farhad himself used that route...

Why do u keep recommending to temporarily set up a blackhole (until the filter works), when that is actually a long term solution ?

A direct, to the point answer to this simple question is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to seek additional clarification. It's advised as a temporary solution because the original request was to address an attack on Exim. Attacks often only last for a period of time, thus it's advised as a temporary solution until the Exim attack stops and a blackhole setting is no longer required. The third-party URL, and what some of the users on this thread found helpful, was the ability to adjust the filter so the message was bounced to an email address of their choosing instead of bouncing it to the remote mail server where the email address is hosted. This way, they can see all of the bounces that are occurring, without bouncing them to the sender and ending up blacklisted for backscatter SPAM.

Thank you.

mike_n

Nov 27, 2015
LS
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
@ cPanelMichael:

so u're saying these peeps set up this custom filter instead of using the "catch all" solution, so they can forward the spam bounce messages to an external / foreign email address compared to a server side system address in the "catch all" configuration ?

If so, then that would eat off your daily relay limit quite a bit if one is forwarding 20,000 spam bounces daily to a personal gmail address... and then gmail / Google will still consider your server to send spam and take appropriate actions...

I don't seem to understand your point or the reason why to implement the custom filter...

Thanks.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
so u're saying these peeps set up this custom filter instead of using the "catch all" solution, so they can forward the spam bounce messages to an external / foreign email address compared to a server side system address in the "catch all" configuration ?
I believe some of the users utilized a local email address, but I'll leave this thread open for the other users to add feedback about why they chose that specific method.

Thank you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Email 7
H Email 3
J Email 3
T Email 7
G Email 10